"Winterizing" the goats

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by DebianDog, Oct 16, 2009.

1. DebianDog

DebianDog New Member

Aug 9, 2009
    Well this is my first winter with the girls. Is there anything special, besides making sure their water is not frozen, I should do or be doing? :scratch:

2. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Try hot water.....mine love hot water on cold mornings, actually I take it out to them 2-3x's a day! Lots and lots of bedding......and dry draft free barn, shed......last winter was our first winter with our guys.......we worked on the barn this summer really getting it free of drafts.......I also put up a blanket over their doorway to outside to keep draft out, but they can still go out and in.

3. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC
    I would also put a "little" extra weight on them as they will be more comfortable. If they are already beefy then just do what you have been doing.

4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Sounds like you have it all covered.
    Just remember to give them hay and if you can free choice. The hay is what keeps them warm. Keeps the rumen going. Now I have heard form a lot of people not to fee the goats grain at night. Why you ask? They say that if they eat the hay they will not eat as much hay, therefore not stay as warm. :shrug: Now I am not saying that is right r wrong. BUT I feed my goats grain only at night. I do not have enough time to feed them in the morning. I guess maybe I do not feed them a lot because they always eat lots of hay after they finish their grain.

5. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Make sure they have a draft free dry shelter where they can get out of rain sleet snow and wind. lots of hay. I pretty much stop feeding grain during the winter. just a little bit of grain and beet pulp, more hay and hay pellets.
    beth

6. DebianDog

DebianDog New Member

Aug 9, 2009
    Thanks all! :thumbup: