The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
208 Posts
The low cost units typically have terrible range, less than 50 feet or so for most. I tried a few different brands before I gave up and ran wired cameras. You can string regular cable-tv coax cable from the house to the barn very cheaply. Just need an F to BNC adapter at one end and and F to Phono on the other end to plug into any TV monitor.

The IP wireless cameras are a tiny bit better, if you have a really good router. That said, they do really eat up your router bandwidth though.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I have a Foscam. I have used it since March. It has a really nice, clear picture and moves 330 degrees.

However, it does go down quite a bit. I have to reboot once a week. I can view from my house easily, but when I try to view remotely, that is when it locks up sometimes. But, for $89.00, it works for what I need it for. Late night checks on does in or near labor inside my barn. Don't need to get my coat and boots on, or wake up fully!

I really researched, and unless you are willing to shell out several hundred, this is the way to go. There aren't many things in between really expensive and cheap...

BTW, our barn is about 250 feet from the router in our house...

·
1,132 Posts
I also have a Foscam. It saved me at least 200 visits to the barn this past kidding season. I got mine from Amazon and I think it was $79. It was pretty easy to set up and with an app I downloaded to my phone I was able to check it whenever I wanted. I don't think mine is waterproof but since I had it in my barn I wasn't too worried about it. This winter it did get snow on it and I had to bring it inside to un thaw but it still worked fine afterwards.

·
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you know what model it is? Is it wireless? What does it connect to for video?

Thanks..

I have a Foscam. I have used it since March. It has a really nice, clear picture and moves 330 degrees.

However, it does go down quite a bit. I have to reboot once a week. I can view from my house easily, but when I try to view remotely, that is when it locks up sometimes. But, for $89.00, it works for what I need it for. Late night checks on does in or near labor inside my barn. Don't need to get my coat and boots on, or wake up fully!

I really researched, and unless you are willing to shell out several hundred, this is the way to go. There aren't many things in between really expensive and cheap...

BTW, our barn is about 250 feet from the router in our house...

·
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What model is yours?

I also have a Foscam. It saved me at least 200 visits to the barn this past kidding season. I got mine from Amazon and I think it was $79. It was pretty easy to set up and with an app I downloaded to my phone I was able to check it whenever I wanted. I don't think mine is waterproof but since I had it in my barn I wasn't too worried about it. This winter it did get snow on it and I had to bring it inside to un thaw but it still worked fine afterwards.

·
1,132 Posts
With this camera you can also move it around from inside. I put my camera between two kidding pens and I was able to pan back in forth. I had a tough time finding pictures before I bought mine so I thought I would share a couple pics I took from the camera. I hope this helps you
With light from a heat lamp

The night vision inside in complete darkness

The camera comes with instructions on how to connect it to your wireless internet. I just followed the directions and had it hooked up in about an hour. You won't need any wires from the camera to your house unless you don't have power in your barn.

·
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you so much for taking the time to show me. Unfortunately I don't have power outside. I use solar lights around the pens.. My understanding of wireless camera is like a wireless laptop...nothing is connected. I have surveillance cameras wired around my house and I can access them remotely via internet...but nothing that would go out to the enclosed area where the goats would be...no electricity.

With this camera you can also move it around from inside. I put my camera between two kidding pens and I was able to pan back in forth. I had a tough time finding pictures before I bought mine so I thought I would share a couple pics I took from the camera. I hope this helps you
With light from a heat lamp

The night vision inside in complete darkness

The camera comes with instructions on how to connect it to your wireless internet. I just followed the directions and had it hooked up in about an hour. You won't need any wires from the camera to your house unless you don't have power in your barn.

·
1,132 Posts
I don't think your going to find one that won't require power to your barn. I looked and ended up having to run an extension cord from our shop to the barn. Luckily for me they are right next to each other so I didn't have the fire risk. If you end up finding one I would love to know about it. We're moving so next season I might be without my camera. Maybe one of those baby monitors that have cameras would work

·
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thats a great idea.. I've seen baby monitors w/small little camera the size of a cell phone...Good suggestion... thank you!

I don't think your going to find one that won't require power to your barn. I looked and ended up having to run an extension cord from our shop to the barn. Luckily for me they are right next to each other so I didn't have the fire risk. If you end up finding one I would love to know about it. We're moving so next season I might be without my camera. Maybe one of those baby monitors that have cameras would work

1 - 12 of 12 Posts