The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I copper bolus all my does today. Will get the three males done tomorrow. I sure wish I could find a easy way to do it rather than fight them.. Don't want much do I. lol

·
Registered
296 Posts
We used marshmallows last time we bolused. The goats had no idea what the heck we were putting in their mouths, and I believe we had to hold their mouths closed so they would actually swallow them. I'm hoping this week when we bolus again that they will be more accepting! Still I think the marshmallows are probably easier than anything else, not that I've tried. I know, I'm no help! LOL

·
Registered
788 Posts
Uggh! Just came back from the barn myself. After no luck with marshmallows, crunchy peanut butter and turned noses at top dressed feed, I bought a small plastic balling gun figuring I would win this time. I was gonna just shove them in there. Nope, fighting all the way, regurgitating, fussing, sneezing, you name it. Quite after 9, 2 to go but I was pooped. Doesn't help I decided to do it myself :angry:

·
Super Moderator
58,202 Posts
I cut off the tip end of a 3cc syringe (you can use a 6cc too). Fill it with rods at 1cc per 60 lbs. Then I put a dab of Probios paste on top to hold them in. Get the syringe in the back of their mouth and push the plunger. Hold mouth closed until they swallow.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
I feed my goats soaked beet pulp in the cooler months. I sprinkle their copper boluses on top of the beet pulp and they gobble it right down, leaving not even a single rod in the dish. I have yet have one not eat them and I have some mighty picky does.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone. I still had three boys to do and my daughter and I used the marshmallow. They were having nothing to do with it. So we still had to fight them to get them to swallow. Will keep on trying different ways til I find one that works. I thought next time I would try bread cause that is one thing they do love is bread.

·
city-turned-country girl
1,137 Posts
I had doe who would not take a copper bolus in any shape or form, except sprinkled in a dish with table salt. Make sure not to give too much salt, or they won't finish.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I cut off the tip end of a 3cc syringe (you can use a 6cc too). Fill it with rods at 1cc per 60 lbs. Then I put a dab of Probios paste on top to hold them in. Get the syringe in the back of their mouth and push the plunger. Hold mouth closed until they swallow.
Do basically the same but use a 65cc drencher (from our vet; may be avail at TSC) and mix with applesauce.

kbt

·
Goat Crazy!
6,457 Posts
One thing that has helped me is finding out which each of my picky eaters LIKE to eat before I dose them. 3 of my does will scarf down banana without chewing. I feed it to them on a spoon! However, Ditza is a bit more high maintenance and demands canned pumpkin.

It's much better if you find things like that out beforehand so you don't waste copper. (And so you aren't tempted to loudly say bad words!)

·
Registered
268 Posts
I have one doe that always seems to know and avoids the copper bolus. This year I hid a capsule in a 1/4 of a Mandarin orange. The oranges started a feeding frenzy. She gulped it down fast so she could get another piece.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I just give it in grain and they all take it. I only give a little grain and keep adding a bit -swirl it around so the rods stick to the grain a little and it all goes down just fine. I bring mine in for their grain in the stanchion so I have control there. My bucks will gulp anything with cob on it. I use the wet cob.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Mine love dry roasted peanuts in the shell, think that is what I will use this time for copper. Usually use apple slices and make a sandwich with copper mashed in the middle, but I think the peanuts will work better.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts