The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my goats has wobbly legs, has a hard time walking, keeps falling over. Her eyes are darting all over the place. Please help what could this be?

·
I'm watching you
22,273 Posts
This is classic goat polio...She needs Thiamin, a lot of it. Do you have fortified B complex at least? Any kind of B1?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I also read it could be Listeriosis. I have been giving her penicillin as well. It said if you're not sure treat for both. How long should it take to see improvement? I don't want her to suffer and die.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fairly quickly hours or days? Just home from work and I think she is worse definitely not better. Do I just need to have her put down?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
5cc penicillin and all I have is 18mg Thiamine pills. She has gotten that twice since late last night and is due her next dose now.

·
Super Moderator
58,935 Posts
She really needs injectable thiamine. The oral may not be enough. Can you get Fortified B complex? Then you could inject high doses of that.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
She seems better if I don't touch her. But I tried to move her close to the water bowl and she started having seizures.

·
Super Moderator
58,935 Posts
That is not a good sign. Unfortunately we aren't there to see her physically so you are the best person to call it if she needs to be put down.

She really needs high doses of thiamine frequently initially. I'm not sure that the pills can do that for her.

Best wishes.

·
I'm watching you
22,273 Posts
She needs 30 of those pills crushed and drenched and that's only going to hold her over until you can get some injectable. There's still hope. She needs the right meds though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts