Woe is me and my goat

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by BeeLady, Dec 15, 2008.

1. BeeLady

BeeLady New Member

I hope no one reports me to the SPCA after this post . . . . .

My hubby and I built the goat shed/sled yesterday and it is still in the large implement shed awaiting paint. Today the weather was so miserable that I took my goats out of their temporary housing (which is a fully enclosed coyote proof and escape proof hog trap) and put them in the new goat shed with a cattle panel tied across the opening. Larger, cleaner and more open for them.

Meanwhile, my dying cat who has not eaten in (now) 6 days was in the house and I was trying to spoon feed it chicken broth. The cat has been to the vet, etc and I have pretty much given up hope on him but still giving him meds and trying to feed him. He really wanted outside yesterday and I figured I would never see him again. But he came up this morning to his feeding table, like he has for years, hopped on but wouldn't eat. Anyway, so he was back in the house with me trying to feed him.

Next thing, a huge crash into my plate glass window! The 80-lb dog starts going nuts! Yeah -- you goat owners probably know what the crash was -- one of my goats. The cat freaks, I open the door and bring the goat in the house before the dog goes after it, the cat really freaks, and I put a leash on the goat (I always carry six around my neck now for the goats and the dogs) and I end up picking the goat up and carrying it back to the shed.

(The dog is usually OK around the goats but the goat was running, frantic and up on the porch -- my dog was just going to protect me.)

The goat is fine -- just wanted some human companionship -- obviously botte-fed goat. I work more on the cattle panel, secure it with chain rather than rope, get the two goats calmed down and eating some more hay. I come back to the house and in all the commotion, I had left the sliding glass door open about six inches. No cat. I search under the beds, etc. and have to figure he went out (he is an outdoor cat).

I am just kind of overwhelmed right now. I figure myself to be a good stock person. Most of my animals (cats, dogs, chickens, cows, bees [insects]) are well cared for and live well beyond normal life expectancy. However, these goats are really giving me a hard time! One jumped into a large stock trough with a hot wire across it (I pulled her out before she was fried), the other jumped a fence and got a leg tangled.

I know goats are legendary escape artists but living with it is another thing!

I just need some encouragement. I'm going to put the goats back into their old quarters long enough to go to the feed store to buy a proper gate for their new shed. Of course, my train of thought goes towards "I just need a few more goats. . .older, wiser, able to keep these younger ones calm . . ."

Lauren

2. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    I've had a cat go though our mosquito netting on our door . . . . :doh: my Dad almost skinned me alive.
    nice to meet you by the way. I am talitha. :wave:

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    ah thats why I dislike bottle baby goats!!!!!!!!!! :hair: nothing will please them but to be with humans --- totaly not a normal thing for goats hence why I keep my bottle kids with the goats. Sorry got on a tangent there.

goats love things to jump and climb on --- helps to keep them busy and occupied. I would build them a pen and stuff in it for them to enjoy. they cant eat all day long ;)

4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Welcome to the Goat spot. :wave: Sounds like you have had your hand full.

Have you found you cat? I am really sorry to hear about him. He might of left to go ahead and go on to the brighter side. He might love you enough to not let you see him that way. :hug:

I couldn't imagine a goat going thru a window like that. i had a bottle baby and she totally thought she was a dog because that is who she cuddled up with at night and so on but for her to do that. I can not imagine it. How old is this goat? Do they have enough room to really move around?

I would love to see a picture of this and all you goats.

5. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Oh, gosh. That is quite a day for you. :hug: You sound like a wonderful owner of animals, so I would not worry about being a bad "goat mom." It took us what seemed like forever to get it right. And there are still problems sometimes. ;)

I too, dislike bottle-babies. They are fun and all but rather spoiled rotten. . . . have a few like that. :roll:

It sounds like a good gate is just what you need and I'm sure you'll be fine. What kind of goaties do you have?

BTW, it's nice to meet you! :wave:

6. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    3 of my 4 goats are bottle babies. Whisper - because I didnt know any better :roll: I was told she'd be wild unless I bottle reared her. Demi - because I bought her as a baby. Harmony - because her mammy died.

Whisper and Harmie are generally well behaved - Demi is a little demon. So I guess you get both good and bad with the bottle babies :roll: They've all always had to sleep outside though, and in the barn.

7. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    You poor soul! I had a very old cat, indoor cat. I was looking for him last month and couldn't find him...thought I'd find him passed in a corner somewhere...nope...gone...not a sign of him anywhere. I don't know how he got out...neither does hubby...he just disappeared! :sigh:

I love where your mind went (perfectly describes our addiction) "I'm having trouble keeping the goats in...so I should get another goat!" :doh: Sounds like me!!! Ha! Ha!

I'm going to guess that as he gets bigger he'll be less "bouncy". Trouble is getting by till then. I'm hoping you got a better gate and have the little bugger locked up by now, and apparently the window didn't break.

Got a little laugh from your predicament, sorry :GAAH:

8. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    I like bottle babies. They can be annoying being underfoot but my gosh they're better than dam raised any day. Especially some of the dam raised I've had this past year.

Good luck with your goat endevor. Some goats are prone to problems no matter how tame or untame they are.

9. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    I raise a LOT of bottle babies. Mainly cos people keep giving em to me.

Last year I raised 4 Boer kids on the bottle, funny thing is the two girls turned out 'normal' but the two boys are terrors. They are olympic gold medalist hurdlers. My theory is the boys mum died right after the birth, so they were bottle fed right from the starting line. The girls stayed with their mums for 4 - 6 days before being pulled for bottle feeding, because their mums were feeding twins with not enough milk. So I've come to the conclusion if I ever routinely bottle feed my dairy kids they will stay on mum for a week or so. (unless there are CAE issues etc, obviously)

I've raised 8 lambs on bottles this year, I think I've had something on a bottle since March :GAAH:

10. BeeLady

BeeLady New Member

Goats are safe and sound now. Here is new gate and mineral feeder I put into shed.

11. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Lauren,

Glad to hear that everyone is fine.

Hey I have that same mineral feeders. I do not have mine so tall, I cut mine about 6 inches tall and that way I have them all OVER the barn. Mine have Baking soda, sea Kelp and Sweetlix mineral. (not mixed together all separate) They are at every corner of the barn so they have several choices. They are great.