The Goat Spot Forum banner

Woke up to this this morning. :(

5K views 69 replies 32 participants last post by  janeen128 
#1 · (Edited)
This morning I woke up to seeing one my pregnant sheep laying on the floor. I knew something was wrong after she didn't come for breakfast and she didn't answer after I called her in. Come to find out that the neighbors two German shepherds were at it again!!!! They chewed her up bad! I have her some shots and put some anti infection cream. Hopefully she lives through the night :(

Primate Dog breed Felidae Fawn Terrestrial animal

Organism Grass Terrestrial animal Natural material Working animal

Dog Mammal Grass Carnivore Fawn

Attachments

See less See more
#7 · (Edited)
If you havent already done so, you need to call the sheriff! You need them out there to take a report and you need it done now. You also need to go over to your neighbors and (with or without the cops) and inform them they will be getting a bill for the vet call (get the vet out there if you havent) and the next time their dogs even set one foot on your property, they will be taking the long dirt nap. If you do not get on top of this right now, it will happen again and again and again until you do something to stop it.

Take it from someone who has seen more then his fare share of dog attacks. I have even go so far as to drag a dogs carcass to the door step of its owner after multiple attacks and warnings. The conversation went something like this:

knock knock. "HEY man, did you shoot my dog? He has a hole in his gut? We are having to take him to the vet."

"Yep I shot your dog after I caught them chasing that goats again. You wont have to worry about taking the other one to the vet." I point to the corpse on the porch.
"Oh and you may wanna find someone who can take your dog to the vet, cause those 2 sheriff vehicles coming down the drive, they are coming here and you are going to be busy for while."

#9 ·
OMGoodness...Im so sorry...I hope she recovers fully for you...
I agree you need to call the sheriff...and you need to let the nieghbors know they will pay for any losses be it vet bills or the death if she does nto make it..along with the loss of her baby....I love love love anmials..I have 8 dogs myself..but next time they come to your property...I would shoot them. Period...

Be sure to begin Penicillin to help protect against infection..Banamine for pain and inflamation...offer Electrolytes along with fresh water so she can choose... I would also give a tetnanus antitoxon shot..

#10 ·
OMGoodness...Im so sorry...I hope she recovers fully for you...
I agree you need to call the sheriff...and you need to let the nieghbors know they will pay for any losses be it vet bills or the death if she does nto make it..along with the loss of her baby....I love love love anmials..I have 8 dogs myself..but next time they come to your property...I would shoot them. Period...

Be sure to begin Penicillin to help protect against infection..Banamine for pain and inflamation...offer Electrolytes along with fresh water so she can choose... I would also give a tetnanus antitoxon shot..

#11 ·
That's so sad. I hope she gets better. You should call the police though and file charges against them for property damage. We had people who let their dogs run loose in our area and they killed my first two goats. It was awful put the law came down hard on them and they had to pay a ton of huge fines and create a government approved enclosure. We have not had a problem since, but I think it helped I told them if I ever caught the dogs on my property again I would get my gun and "solve" the problem.

#14 ·
They are properly fenced in. I honesty don't know how those dogs got over. Late that afternoon they were at it again. If I wasn't an animal lover I would have shot them down. I scared them off with a couple rounds and they bolted over the fece like deer. Spent all day today putting up a higher fence.

#17 ·
Lily is at the vet now. Been there since yesterday. They bet determined that one of the twins has passed and the other one looks stable. Although lilys milk sack has been torn along with one of her nipples. The vet says that it'll be painful
For her to even try and give birth. If we want the baby she'll have a c-section and the baby will have to be bottle fed. Don't know what to do at this point. :( so sad.

#18 ·
I have 3 dogs I love to death and would never hurt another animal but after the incident I had I believe sometimes there are times where you have to do what you need to to protect your animals. I would be especially worried too if they came back again. Those dogs have tasted blood and could hurt some person or animal. I would at least call animal control and let your neighbors know. Dogs that do something like that shouldn't be around if the owners won't step up and care for them. :( its a shame some people don't care for their animals better.

I'm so sorry for your situation. I have been praying for you and your goats. I hope they make it.

#21 ·
Awe I'm so sorry. Poor Lilly. What ever you diced to do will be best for her I'm sure. A c section after all she's been through might be too much.... As for the dogs... They have found a new play thing... They know where the animals are and how to get them. I fear their attacks will only escalate .

#23 ·
Animal lover or not, shot the damn dogs!!! They will not stop, they now see that its fun to do this. They did not kill her so hungry is not the issue. You have now in the few posts you gave said this is at least the 3rd time they have done this. How many times have they been out there that you never even knew about. You should not have to keep fixing your fence because of someone elses animals. Have you talked to them about any of this yet? Not just with this last sheep but before that? If you have and they have just fluffed it off then what i would do is put no trespassing signs up, sit out there and wait for the dogs to come onto you, as soon as they jump the fence shoot them and leave them there so they can see what goes on when you dont keep your dog under control. Im not sure how good its going to do to talk to the cops/animal control now that its done and there is really no proof that it was in fact their dogs, maybe for attacks later on, thats why I myself would and do skip all that and just deal with it myself and let them wonder what.

#24 ·
This is the first time that happened but you're right. I'm no longer letting that happen. My father went over and spoke to the guy today and he's willing to pay for the vet bills as long as we don't report the incident to the sheriff. But my dad clearly told him that of his dogs are seen on our property again he won't be held responsible for any deaths.

#25 ·
That tells me one thing, his dogs have done this before and he has been warned that if it happened again, his dogs would be taken and put down. Stay on guard and be ready. But am glad you are taking steps to prevent it from happening again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.