The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!
My doe had 2 healthy bucks on Friday (3 days ago). I usually bottle feed and milk the doe but I wanted to try sharing the milk this year especially since we are going to be boarding them for a year. So I separated them last night and planned to milk her out this morning and let them nurse all day. But when I went to milk her, her udder was very full but her tears were pretty much empty (she’s 8 and has had many freshenings, this has never happened). What do I do? I tried to massage her, let her kids nurse for a few minutes, let the kids run around the stand so she wouldn’t be stressed, locked the kids up so she didn’t see them... I feel like I’ve tried everything! When I milk her, I get one good stream and then it’s like the teats empty. I put her out with babies to see if she will relax after a few hours. Is she just not letting the milk down or could it be something else? Her udder is very hard.

·
Premium Member
4,382 Posts
Is she CAE negative? Freshening with a hard udder and very little milk is a sign the doe became syptomatic. Another thing is that at about 3 days there is not colostrum left and some does take a bit to come into milk.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is she CAE negative? Freshening with a hard udder and very little milk is a sign the doe became syptomatic. Another thing is that at about 3 days there is not colostrum left and some does take a bit to come into milk.
She was tested in December and it came back negative. She’s never taken a while to come into milk. I’m waiting for my vet to call me back.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts