The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if you can mate the buck with his daughter?? Someone said you could but just trying to get more feedback.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I wouldn't. That is way too close of a relationship, but I'm not a fan of line breeding - all too often it becomes inbreeding. ;)

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
Absolutely. Happens every year at our place. Line breeding can be very successful if done the correct way. You want to make sure that you are breeding consistent good traits instead of consistent bad traits.

Dam/son breeding is also possible, but I have not heard much about it and don't have any experience with it.

·
Registered
29,907 Posts
there is a fine line between line breeding and inbreeding...if breeding dad to daughter is an only option it is important to be sure there are no genetic defaults..this will be magnafied in offspring...with that being said there are advantages of line breeding when genetically they have strong positives....its a judgement call for each producer to make..personally I would avoid line breeding without strong knowledge of my Goats postives and Negatives and an understanding of the risks..

·
14,615 Posts
I did, since I was too cheap to go find an outside buck to service his daughter. They turned out great but it's not something I would do unless out of necessity.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Goatcrazy, My dad git this Boer doe that is Black and she was pregnant but her other owner that we brought her from died she was bred to a brown head and white for the body and there was a black buck that was her son and she was with him and the other buck.When she gave birth to twin does they were mostly black with very little white like their mother has.When we bred her to are buck that is mostly white she had a black head buckling with a white body.That made us thing that the owner did not know because he had both bucks in the pen with a herd of does:rolleyes:

·
1,524 Posts
I've done both when I was breeding to fix a trait. Always worked out very well, but I was very careful balancing the faults vs the desirable traits. I bred 1/2 siblings also with success.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
sire to daughter breeding is often done to find the genetic faults of the sire. if mother to son it would show the genetic faults of the dam. i dont reccomend either unless you really need to know the faults. seems like a waste to me

·
2,203 Posts
We do it every year, or every two years, depending on daughter growth. For us, it's worth putting the extra cash into a good buck, and line breeding has helped us out quite a bit.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
My Toggs were the result of a father/daughter breeding. They wanted to set the superiour attachments and capacity from the sires line. Unfortunately the sires line also had small teats, and my girls had teats that make a Nigerian's look huge.

·
The farm that Hope began
2,799 Posts
Bred my buck's daughter back to him this past season and was very pleased with the results. You just have to really watch for particular traits that are going to be exacerbated by such close breeding - some good and some bad. You won't get six legged goats or anything.

·
14,615 Posts
Our situation was that buck's horns were very close to his head. His daughter not so much so but it was something that concerned me.
Just guessing but if I had used him over his grandaughters it might have shown up?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts