The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bambi wont eat hay. He had been on timothy but he only ate the buds, I switched him to alfalfa because I thought goats were supposed to like it and he needs the nutrition, he wont touch it, he looks thinner than when I bought him, I also bought him some calf mana and he snubbed it too! :hair:
I need ideas on what to feed him I dont want him to lose weight. :(
He isn't skinny but he in my opinion should be meatier being a boer cross.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The guy I got him from said he only gave him pelleted feed twice a day. (Didn't even mention anything about hay)
I give him some pelleted feed the brand is noble goat by purina (four handfuls a day two in the morning two at night) I keep hay out for him constantly He was on timothy hay and would eat the buds and waste the rest he wouldn't eat the actual hay.
I bought a bale of alfalfa today for him and offered it and he wont even try it. I also take him for two walks a day to eat browse as he pleases.
The calf mana I offered to him and he also didn't want it. But I mixed it with his normal feed and left it and the hay out for him.

·
1,147 Posts
Sometimes switching feed can be an adjustment, and I have heard of goats starving themselves to death rather than eat something they are not used to!
Weird!
I would contact the breeder and ask what he was eating before. See if you can get your hands on some, and if not, perhaps the breeder could sell you some.... Then slowly introduce new hay mixed in with the stuff he is used to.

My goats looked like walking skeletons when I first got them, and were eating nothing but STRAW. They never had hay, or grain, or minerals, baking soda, etc.... Not to mention fruit or veggies.... It took me a while to get them converted from Straw to healthy feed. Now they are eating green hay, alfalfa hay, a grain mix of all kinds of stuff, and fresh fruit and veggies every single day!
Even now though, whenever I throw fresh straw on the ground, they will eat some! :)

Goats also learn from other goats. Mine didn't want to try anything new either, until they saw another goat try it first! Once they gave it a shot, they were sold, but it took some encouragement! As unbelievable as this may sound, my girls had the hardest time with fresh fruit and veggies... Now they will (literally) try to knock the gate down when they see that light-blue bucket filled with goodies! :)

Good luck with your little guy!

·
Registered
11,162 Posts
feeding location?

I got a new doe who had always been fed on the ground and could not fathom eating out of a hay rack! Not sure if this may have an affect too - hate to feed them on the ground but if it gets him eating then so be it!

Can you scavenge some white pine or other green browse right now and kind of mix it in with the alfalfa? Hide raisins in the bottom?

Maybe slop some caro or molasses on the calf manna & put a few in his mouth or stick them to his lips?

·
14,456 Posts
You could try another bale of Timothy & mix it with about half the alfalfa & continue switching over a period of a few weeks.
Give him some time. Since he's not used to the alfalfa he's going to get the green runs for a few days once he digs in unless it is done in moderation at first.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I mixed some timothy with the alfalfa so it's half and half now. I had no idea goats were such picky creatures. :doh:
He's lucky he's so darn cute lol.
I guess I'll see in the morning if mixing it worked. Looked like he'd eaten some of his pellets though.

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,805 Posts
I can top that :) Our winter hay shipment is delayed so I have been having to buy a locale alfalfa hay. Its really pretty good stuff. I can pull flakes apart by hand to spread it out in the feeders. Not to dry. I have been feeding this for 3 weeks now. I have about a ton of some extra high / hot protein hay from my grower, left over from LAST YEAR that has been under tarp and just waiting for just such an occasion for me to mix it with a lesser hay. Again, this alfalfa is pretty good and is being sold as premium hay. My goats, all my goats, will totally by pass a full feeder full of that hay to get to a hand full of the hot hay. :) I will load of feeders with the "premium" hay. A few will reach in and take a bite but most of them will have their heads in the feeder, looking up at me. Waiting for me to mix in some of the hot hay before they start to eat. I have to almost do battle with them to let me mix in the hot stuff so they dont take huge mouthfuls of it. At 30% protein, its way to hot to be fed by itself.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I bet he will eat it eventually. My Dad tells a story of an old farmer who told my Dad that he fed his dog green beans. "Green beans?" Asked my Dad, "my dog would never eat beans!" To which the old farmer replied, "mine wouldn't either, for a week."

Also, I know a few very knowledgeable goat breeders who, even with top quality hay, still shake their heads over how much good hay gets wasted by goats. I know mine seem to take pleasure in seeing how much they can deposit on the ground for every bite they actually consume.

·
Registered
8,603 Posts
Try offering him alfalfa pellets maybe?

·
8,483 Posts
Unfortunately, goats will waste hay. Lots of it. If you have other animals, like calves, feed the wasted hay to them.
A goat can starve to death if they don't recognize the food (alfalfa) as edible! They are rather picky eaters!

·
Banned
5,939 Posts
Unfortunately, goats will waste hay. Lots of it. If you have other animals, like calves, feed the wasted hay to them.
A goat can starve to death if they don't recognize the food (alfalfa) as edible! They are rather picky eaters!
I totally disagree with this statement. No animal will starve themselves to death with decent food in front of them. Unless the hay is moldy, slimy, or otherwise inedible, goats are picky only to the degree that we allow.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.