Wood Pellets for Bedding?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by FunnyRiverFarm, Mar 6, 2009.

1. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Hey everyone! :wave: I was wondering if anyone has tried using exclusively wood pellets (woody pet, equine pine, etc.) for goat bedding. I have used them in my in my guinea pig cages for years and like them for that but was wondering what the pros/cons for using them in goat stalls would be.

With spring coming, keeping bedding dry is a major issue and I think using these pellets could be part of the answer. Depending on the responses I get, I might try them for a few weeks and then report back here with my results.

Thanks in advance for any responses! :)

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I would love to know as well..... good question.... :)

3. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    It's ok, but I have ended up using one bag of wood pellets on the bottom of the stall with one bag of shaving on top of the wood pellets. With just the wood pellets it gets too dusty and the goats end up coughing. It's also not as comfortable for them to lay down on just wood pellets. I don't buy the woody pet because it is more expensive and you get less in the bag.

But when you mix the shavings and wood pellets together is works great!! Oh and make sure you get soft wood pellets. You can't use the hard wood.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    RunAround ...thank you so much for the insight ....it is very appreciated... :thumbup: :greengrin:

5. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Yeah, that's one of the things I was worried about--in the GP cages I use a srapy bottle and mist the bedding to keep it from getting dusty but it would be a lot to do the entire goat shed everyday.

6. Amy Goatress

Amy Goatress New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    We have bought bags of the wood pellets that you put under water to "fluff" them up and put it down as bedding but we haven't used them yet though.