The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've probably all seen this one coming, but here we are...
Now would be a great time to start building a relationship with a local vet, if you haven't already, as we all know animals have a propensity for getting sick on the weekends and after hours, and it is good to be able to keep meds on hand for them.

Registered
*Gotta love 鈥榚m kids!*
That is so stupid, how many animals will die because their owner can not get a large animal vet in their area. I understand that a lot of people miss dose antibiotics, but if the company would give more details on how to properly dose, that would be helpful. Some of the instructions on antibiotic bottles are just terrible!

Registered
Instead of taking them off the market completely for farmers and ranchers, why don't they do like they have done with some pesticides and require us to get a license to purchase the antibiotics. If they are so worried about antibiotic resistance then why not offer training on proper antibiotic use to those of us who raise animals? Once training is complete, give a simple test, if you pass the test then you could get a license that would allow you to purchase the antibiotics as before. I understand that some producers, like doctors give antibiotics for everything and that's a problem, but totally doing away with over the counter antibiotics for animals is going to be very unfortunate for a lot of animals.

Administrator
We have been going through this for a few years now. Not liking it and either are the vets.

You will have to make an appointment with your vet to have them come out to look at your animals and create me a client/vet relationship with you and pay a fee to be able to call in for antibiotics etc. It is paid for a year.
Then you will have to redo it again the following year.

Registered
You will have to make an appointment with your vet to have them come out to look at your animals and create me a client/vet relationship with you and pay a fee to be able to call in for antibiotics etc. It is paid for a year.
Then you will have to redo it again the following year.
Yep ^^^

Just find a vet that will do that and then they should be able to approve stuff you order off valley vet. There's not that many over the counter antibiotics anyway

So, now the run (worse than its been) on antibiotics starts. Keep any that don't require refrigeration- in a cool, dark area. Always wipe the top with an alcohol wipe then wait
at least 30 seconds before you stick a new needle in the rubber stopper. I wipe it off after the stick, too. Un opened bottles should last beyond the expiration date- if stored
correctly and cleanly. But, when in doubt, toss it out.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I haven't had lots of extra time to research this, cooking for Thanksgiving today. Just something that popped up on a different feed I participate in, and thought it was worth sharing. Supposedly, the new restrictions won't be fully in place til June of 2023, but who knows how soon this will effect what's available online and in local stores.
Just this year, I've used penicillin multiple times, udder infusions to treat mastitis, and LA 300. It will really stink when I won't just be able to run to my local farm store at 7 at night to grab something I'm out of and haven't gotten restocked yet.
But so it goes.
I at least have some good vets around me who I think will work with me to keep what I need stocked. But my heart goes out to those who aren't so fortunate!

Premium Member
Raising Quality Show & Commercial Goats
What is worse, the price will go up. You wont be able to purchase that bottle, now its per dose. How sad. The government is going to price raising livestock out of the everyday persons hand. I would suggest writing your Senator or Gov. Official that could possible help limit or stop this from going forward.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What is worse, the price will go up. You wont be able to purchase that bottle, now its per dose. How sad. The government is going to price raising livestock out of the everyday persons hand. I would suggest writing your Senator or Gov. Official that could possible help limit or stop this from going forward.
That's a good thought to write to representatives. Since this is an FDA initiative, I'm not quite sure how all that works legally and who has veto power over the new regulations going forward, but I will research it. I think a lot of times livestock people are too busy to pay attention to things like this. And it's not like it's going to garner lots of media attention.
I have noticed a slow and steady trend towards greater regulations. We used to be able to order rabies vaccine for our dogs and give it ourselves. Now, you have to take the dog to the vet, which is more pricey. I understand the public safety aspect at play here, but normal pet and livestock owners just keep being told they have to pay more. And more. It's ridiculous.

Super Moderator
Yep we have had this for a few years now and it鈥檚 not fun, especially if you don鈥檛 have a vet within 50 miles and none are willing to come out so you can make a relationship with them. Knock on wood I honestly have not ever needed to give antibiotics all that often to start with and so far haven鈥檛 run into the nightmare of having to load a sick animal up, stress it out even more and drive a hour and a half to get a expensive shot from a horse vet that puts livestock on the back burner. And to be honest that鈥檚 why any meat that says 鈥渁ntibiotic free鈥 doesn鈥檛 get my money. Every butcher animal goes threw a withdrawal time because no one is willing to pay those fines.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Yep we have had this for a few years now and it鈥檚 not fun, especially if you don鈥檛 have a vet within 50 miles and none are willing to come out so you can make a relationship with them. Knock on wood I honestly have not ever needed to give antibiotics all that often to start with and so far haven鈥檛 run into the nightmare of having to load a sick animal up, stress it out even more and drive a hour and a half to get a expensive shot from a horse vet that puts livestock on the back burner. And to be honest that鈥檚 why any meat that says 鈥渁ntibiotic free鈥 doesn鈥檛 get my money. Every butcher animal goes threw a withdrawal time because no one is willing to pay those fines.
Oh man! Having to go that far to a vet would be hard! I'm glad your animals are staying healthy for you.
For some reason, this year has been kinda rough for herd health at my place. I suspect mineral issues are at the root of several problems I've been having, but I've had to resort to antibiotics more than I would have liked. So I'm keeping the goat herd small until I get things sorted out.
The coming years are going to be 'fun' for all of us, I think. I don't foresee these kinds of challenges going away any time soon.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That is so stupid, how many animals will die because their owner can not get a large animal vet in their area. I understand that a lot of people miss dose antibiotics, but if the company would give more details on how to properly dose, that would be helpful. Some of the instructions on antibiotic bottles are just terrible!
Instead of taking them off the market completely for farmers and ranchers, why don't they do like they have done with some pesticides and require us to get a license to purchase the antibiotics. If they are so worried about antibiotic resistance then why not offer training on proper antibiotic use to those of us who raise animals? Once training is complete, give a simple test, if you pass the test then you could get a license that would allow you to purchase the antibiotics as before. I understand that some producers, like doctors give antibiotics for everything and that's a problem, but totally doing away with over the counter antibiotics for animals is going to be very unfortunate for a lot of animals.
Ya'll need to run for office or something. Get some more common sense out there!

Super Moderator
Sadly I don鈥檛 think it鈥檚 going to get better any time soon. What鈥檚 next? All vaccines for livestock? I had a long post of ranting going on but I鈥檒l shorten it up lol people are so spoiled and so out of touch with reality it鈥檚 not even funny. And I鈥檓 just going to leave it at that because it will get long again lol
There are years that just everything hits hard no matter how hard we try. I think everyone has had one of those years. I just am thankful that has not hit me again just yet since this whole crap went into effect. It鈥檚 kinda sad here because they did the whole antibiotic thing, and then they are making it harder to get ammo. I鈥檓 sitting here thinking ok, I can鈥檛 get antibiotics and now your making it harder for me to be able to put down a sick animal instead of suffering. How is this all supposed to help the animals?

Super Moderator
I keep several herbs and herbal blends along with quality essential oils on hand. They may not always be enough but in most cases they do the job. I keep antibiotics and other meds on hand and lucky enough to have a trusting relationship with my vet to still get what I need but I know there will be a time that government will ties his hands too.

Registered
Yep! Went through this when we still had goats. We had an equine vet who would prescribe for us on weekends and say it was an emergency. He even stopped that as many vets were losing their license. And he would not be our vet because he only saw horses.
The only other one we could find was 30 minutes away. We called her once and couldn't get an appointment for 2 weeks. I wrote our representative and explained ending with, "For us a sick goat is a dead goat." Never even got a response.
Luckily we had enough of a stockpile that we did not lose any. I do not know what we will do if we start raising them again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts