Working Goats

Discussion in 'Pack and Working Goats' started by DW Farms, Oct 4, 2007.

1. DW Farms

DW Farms New Member

Oct 4, 2007
    Ohio
    Have a Pack or Harness goat question, Ask away!!!

I have had harness and pack goats for over 8 years, So if anyone need help or is intrested in either, I would be more than happy to help,

Thanks
    Adam
    DW Farms
    http://workinggoats.tripod.com

2. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I need advice.
    I have a LaMancha wether, Gus, he is very special to me. He was born in late February and as a baby he got really really bad pneumonia. He almost died but I pulled him through it. I slept with him by my side every night until he got better, so we did bond a little, LOL. In August he had a tree branch fall on his head and he did survive that too. Guess I should have called him Lucky. Anyway, my parents said I could keep him, but I had to make a cart goat out of him otherwise we would have to eat him. He is 7 months old right now, and is sort of collar trained but I need to work on that.
    He is very willing and very friendly. What basic skills should I start him out on? Where should I start in the first place? I bought him a horse halter to use as a training harness, I just need to figure out something for his head.
    Any advice on where to start?
    Thanks so much.

3. DW Farms

DW Farms New Member

Oct 4, 2007
    Ohio
    First I would teach him voice commands when you working with him. Something like, Stop, Go, Left Right, Back and Stand. Use any wording you like. After he get starts to pick up on that. Try ground driving, This is probably the hardest thing to go, because when you ground drive, you have halter, and reins and maybe harness, no cart. So its very very easy for the goat to turn around and look at you. If you can get someone to lead or stay out in front to start out with, It helps. Another thing, since goats are herd creatures, Try taking him away from the other goats and then get behind in and drive him back. He will more than likely stay out front. Once he gets that idea. On one of your trips back to the other goats. Try and turn him around, drive a few steps in the opposite direction and then turn him back around. After a while you should be able to drive him anywhere. Be patient!!, Goats are like horses. They will test your limits. Good Luck

Adam
    DW Farms

4. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
  5. jBlaze

jBlaze New Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Oregon
    Goat Tracks

Google Goat Tracks. Carolyn Eddy has a web-site and a magazine dedicated to pack goats. There may be some harness or carting information there too. She is really nice, and there is an e-mail link on the goat tracks site. Good luck and have fun!

6. el_cabron

el_cabron New Member

Jan 10, 2008
    New Mexico
  7. Potemkyn

Potemkyn New Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Adam - do you still make harnesses?

Mike

8. DW Farms

DW Farms New Member

Oct 4, 2007
    Ohio
    Sorry for the late repley, but Yes I do still make the harnesses

Adam

9. Potemkyn

Potemkyn New Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Great! What are those two measurements you need to make one? We were thinking of getting a collar harness for Cupid. He'll most likely be pulling a cart all by himself.

Thanks!

Mike

10. goat fever

goat fever New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Carlisle, PA
    I just ordered a harness from Adam and he needed to know the following measurements.

Girth measurement and
    The goats length, from the middle of the chest to the tail.

Adam I am correct, right!

11. DW Farms

DW Farms New Member

Oct 4, 2007
    Ohio
    Yes, those are the two measurements needed.

Adam

12. Potemkyn

Potemkyn New Member

Nov 28, 2007
    I'll get those by this weekend.

Mike

:horse:

13. Potemkyn

Potemkyn New Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Adam;

We had to go out of town unexpectedly. Just getting things back in order...

:horse:

Mike

14. lacy_94

lacy_94 New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    North Fla
    dw farms your post has gave me the bug to start harnessing and packing again.
    I love your website !!

15. goatiegurl*Oh

goatiegurl*Oh Senior Member

Nov 10, 2007
    Ohio
    About how long does it take for them to learn the commands,and how big do they need to be before hooking them up to the cart/pulling you? I might decide to keep a kid next year to teach,Im pretty sure there will be a buckling that I wont want to part with. :lol:

16. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio
    I bet there will be one too! There was this year for me!!! He is currently 6 weeks old and will be our working goat. They can usually start to pull by one year old if they are growing well, but not full weight till two or three. Remember, if you feed them well, they may grow till they are 4-5. You need to begin training at a very young age. They should know how to walk and stop by three months, and walk, stop, ''trot''[horse person here], back, and turn by 6 months. Then you can begin with the harnes and drag, cart by 12 months, and you being in the cart by 18 months or 2 years. Then you just can keep working with them and teaching them new things. Hope this helps. [If I am wrong, tell me.]

17. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Hey Adam, I have been trying to teach my boys to ground drive - but they are so used to following me, they keep turning around to look at me! I cannot get them to walk in front of me? Any ideas? I thought of having someone else lead them while I drive or the other way round, but I dont really have someone that can help out regularly.

18. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    I was curious if I could use a dog halter (the kind that straps around the belly) to train a goat with. I no nothing about training goats, and don't have one sufficient for cart pulling right now anyway.
    Just curious

19. lacy_94

lacy_94 New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    North Fla
    No I wouldn't use a dog harness. They are built for dogs and dogs are built diffrent from goats and the harness would press on the goats chest while pulling.

But I have heard on small goats, You can turn a horse haulter sidways or is it upside down..? and use that. haven't tried it but it sounds like it would work for baby goat training.

20. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Adam, I am trying to make a light weight goat wagon that will hold 2 people and use large goats. Do you have any advice on plans for it? I got 2 matching bikes thinking I could use, but it didn't look like it was going to work the way I had hoped. Now I'm back to square one. What materials should I use to build this thing? If you have any ideas/advice please let me know. My husband and I are arguing about the design... :roll: