The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just here or are others having record flys this year? I have 25 fly strips in the barn and two bottle fly traps that are reusable. The barn has clean bedding and despie my efforts flys are still a problem. I have heard that acv and water is supposed to repel them? Anyone have any suggestions on anything else that can be done? Would putting a fan out there help to get rid of them?

·
Registered
120 Posts
We used an electric fly zapper and it helped a lot lol we'd be in the barn and that thing would be zapping non stop lol fly strips always filled up but never seemed to get rid of the problem..

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How dark is your barn? Flies don't fly around when it is darker.
At night I have a led light out there mostly for me to see as it’s pretty dark out there and the ground is pretty rocky. We don’t seem to have as much of a problem at night, they seem to stay put on the walls etc, and I have been misting them with a spray bottle with Dawn and water. which seems to take them out very quickly, so there is that.

real problem is during the day we have three puppies and the flys won’t let off them. Right now they are in the living room and mom comes up to the house 3-4 times a day to feed them.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Fans help. They have been bad this year; I think it's all the rain we've had. I have to replace some of the strips daily. Don't put the stinky traps in the barn. Use those farther away as they will attract flies from other locations.

·
Registered
4,004 Posts
I got fly predators this year. It seems to help a lot. It could be something to look into for next year.

I remove all poop from the barn daily, and I don’t use any bedding in the summer. It seems to help tons.
I also remove as much poop from around the barn (outside) as I can, daily. I have the stinky fly bags hanging near the manure piles, and they fill up fast. Don’t move manure around, once it is deposited on a pile. Apparently turning it gives more flies more access to laying eggs in it.

·
Registered
31,045 Posts
Flies are horrible here too. We try our best to keep all poop, goat and poultry cleaned up. We don't leave feed out..all feeders are cleaned after feeding time is over. We rake the barn and surrounding areas. My dogs and donkeys and cows are covered in flies still. We have made a ACV mix spray that helps..but not consistently. And we have to get the larger animals to stand still long enough to help! Cylence lice treatment seems to help the biting flies some. We brush our goats and donkeys often..which gives them relief for a short while.. Flies are definitely stressful on them and us.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Quick solution: I've had great luck with Fly Spot Bait and PT Alpine pressurized fly bait (not to be applied to the goats, of course. Spray areas where the flies land. They have a residual that keeps killing for days). Long term solution: sanitation of barn and bedding.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quick solution: I've had great luck with Fly Spot Bait and PT Alpine pressurized fly bait (not to be applied to the goats, of course. Spray areas where the flies land. They have a residual that keeps killing for days). Long term solution: sanitation of barn and bedding.
I have cleaning the mats daily and removing the bedding from the center stall where the puppies are. I have also been spraying down the walls with soap and water and using a mop as well on the walls.

it’s like they have no where else to be.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There isn't a way to close barn doors or something to make it darker in the barn during the day?
We have stalls built all the way through the barn with cattle panels on the top of the stalls to the ceiling, and a walk way through the center. With it hitting 95 degrees plus I want to keep as much air moving through as possible.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts