World Equestrian Games

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by HoosierShadow, Aug 25, 2010.

1. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Not sure if anyone is going? But thought I'd ask. First time they are being held outside of Europe! So this is the first time in the US! And also I believe one of the first times all the events will be held at the same place - The Kentucky Horse Park.

I am really excited! It starts one month from today! They had 1200 horses entered, and are expecting 800 from 58 different countries!
    They've had 4 years to prepare the area for it, and are expecting many thousands of people to come for the games. I told everyone I was going into hibernation, but I can't... cause I will be at the games LOL
    I'm credentialed for 14 of the 15 days! Again very excited, BUT I am dreading the crowds and the TRAFFIC. I am still waiting for information on where to go for parking, etc. I hope I don't have to go to a place and shuttle over, but that could be the case. I live about 15-20 minutes from the horse park, so it's not very far at all.

I am covering dressage, eventing and jumping - 8 days, but will be there to help out with other events as needed. I am looking forward to Cross Country, and the stadium jumping. I didn't think I'd like dressage too much, but I had a blast watching it back in April during the Rolex Three Day Event.

Well just thought I'd ask if anyone was going. I know there will be some tv coverage, I 'think' NBC will have at least 6 hours of coverage. But I do believe our local NBC channel will offer much more coverage as they usually do all day coverage during the Kentucky Derby, this is 'local' so I'd think they'd get the same kind of coverage...

2. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I wish I could go, that would be so awesome. I can't even watch on TV though since we don't have one, which sucks :( I can't wait to see your pics of it though :D

3. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

goathappy you dont have a tv in your house? I dont really watch tv but I cant imagine just not having one.

4. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

I just counted and we have 6 tv's in our house.

5. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    We used to have a tv, but we had to tear our old house down due to structural problems so we're living in a park model trailer right now with no tv. So yeah it does suck not having a tv :p

6. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I am sorry about your house Sarah, I'm sure things will look up soon :)
    I don't watch much tv myself either, in fact, I watch maybe an hour or two of tv a week! Sad I know, but I'm just not into a lot of the stuff that is on these day.
    We have 3 tv's plugged up and one in a closet LOL

Everyone in this area is expecting a big turnout for the World Games. A lot of places are hiring additional employees, especially the restaurants. There is a lot of excitement in the air, and a lot of 'what will it be like,' too...
    The horse park has had to build a new indoor arena, out door arena, they have been building up a new cross country course <where the horses go over a 5+ miles over very large jumps and have a time limit to get it done>, plus I know they have to set up more stalls, buildings, etc.
    They have made one lane roads into two lane roads, repaved roads that should have been paved years ago! Built many new hotels, etc. The horse park and the city had to meet the requirements of the World Equestrian Federation.
    This is a huge step for horse sports in the US :)

Good thing is...I pretty much know my way around the KY horse park, so that's a relief. The only thing that could be confusing is the cross country and endurance courses. Endurance would be the sport of racing over a long distance.
    They also have something new this year - Para Dressage which is dressage for handicapped riders, should be very cool. Usually it's only allowed in the special olympics, it's never been held with the World Equestrian Games before.

7. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    i plan on soming down! hopefully:)

8. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    I love the horse park! I got to go when I was preg with my son some 19 years ago. sigh I'll have to live through you this time. :greengrin: I will let you know when Yung and I get to go. (he's never been and I think we could make a weekend trip out of it...maybe in Oct. for my b-day)

Gina

9. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Thanks HoosierShadow, things are going well. We have started building a new house, we hope to be in it by Thanksgiving: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Building- ... 6642163946

Sounds like all the improvements they made are similar to the ones they make for the Olympics, thats a lot of work, but then again its for a very cool think :)

10. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Wow Sarah, what a shame the house had so many issues inside, because it looked really nice on the outside! And being so old, what a treasure it was. But it looks like your new house is coming along! Congrats!
    Out of curiosity how long was the old house in your family? Very cool that you took all the pics and have the info. The smokehouse cement with the date - very neat.

Gina --- Definitely go back to visit when you can! You can see Cigar, Funny Cide and Da Hoss along with others in the hall of champions. Cigar was Horse of the year and used to be the leading North American $$ earner until Curling came along. Funny Cide won the Kentucky Derby and is a fan favorite. They have a barn that hosts different breeds from around the world and they have daily shows with those horses. The big draft horses who pull the carriages and trollies. They always have events going on out there on the weekends, plus the museum. They have the ENTIRE Calumet farm trophy collection which to me is just amazing. Of course Calumet farm used to be the biggest horse farm in horse racing back in the 1940s-1970's.
    A visit in Oct or April can also include live horse racing at Keeneland racetrack. I LOVE Keeneland, it's a very fan friendly track that attracts top runners. Morning works are a blast, they have a banquet breakfast or if your like me you go to the track kitchen for their yummy breakfast!

They showed a 2 minute segment on the World Games on the news last night, and another channel had a half hour special that I missed!
    But from the 2 minute seg, it looks like they are really coming along at the horse park - building all kind of tents, and I believe getting booths up for the vendors? Not sure what all that was, guessing vendors.
    I know my way around the horse park, but now....I am worried LOL

I heard that the Cincy airport will be helping in processing incoming horses. I wonder what kind of quarantine rules they will have in place? I know it's generally 30 days, but not sure what it would be for an event like this. I am guessing the horses have been in quarantine already in their home countries and would be in quarantine for a few days here before being released to go to the horse park. I couldn't imagine keeping up with 800 horses!!!

I won't be doing any shooting on the first day, as I chose not to do reining <2 other girls are doing it>, but it'll give me a day to get adjusted to the layout, and get some pics of the booths, people, etc. all the things they constructed for the event.

Sara--- let me know if you come down, and for what days :)

11. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Thank you!

My family was not the original builders of the house, but its been in our family for 4 generations(I'm the 5th generation) I've had a lot of people tell me how nice the old house looked, but the problem is that when they started putting additions onto the original house, they knocked out several important supporting walls which weakened the overall structure. And when we tore it down you could not believe how dry rotted everything was, not to mention the fact that we were having mold problems.

12. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
  13. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    It's kind of off topic, but have any of you viewed that video of a gal who rides horses without a saddle or bridle? It's really neat. I know there's a short video of it on facebook. She uses pretty much only leg cues to tell the horse what she wants it to do. I dont quite know if I could do that-I like the security of knowing I have a saddle underneath me and some reins.

14. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Not off topic at all IMO :)

Her name is Stacy Westfall, and she is AMAZING
    I admit, I am in tears EVERY time I see that video - she dedicated it to her late father who had passed away like a month before her famous ride.

Here's a youtube link:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNR_R83dZl8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNR_R83dZl8[/ame]

It's a 7 minute long video but soooo worth the watch. So much talent...

And.... I did read a while back that she WILL be doing a performance at the World Equestrian Games! I have actually been meaining to try and find out when, but if it's during the reining sessions, I won't be able to get pics as I won't be doing reining. Two other photographers will be doing it, but I'd sure LOVE to see her perform...she's an amazing horsewoman.

As for the WEG... only 25 days to go! I was reading yesterday they are expecting 600,000 people throughout the 15 day competition!

----
    I just found this video on Stacy Westfall & Ellen Degeneres LOL

15. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I found this on the World Equestrian Games website.... so I will most likely be seeing her after all :)

Stacy Westfall to Perform in the 2010 Alltech FEI World Equestrian Games Opening Ceremonies
    Staff Writer
    LEXINGTON, KY—Champion rider and equine competitor Stacy Westfall will entertain audiences as she performs without a saddle or bridle on her champion horse, Roxy, in the Opening Ceremonies of the 2010 Alltech FEI World Equestrian Games.

Westfall, who has appeared on Ellen and is a YouTube sensation, will bring her champion reining horse, Whizards Baby Doll (“Roxy”), out of retirement to participate in the Opening Ceremonies for the world’s most prestigious equestrian competition.
    Tickets to the 2010 Games Opening Ceremonies, held on the evening of September 25, are still available and can be purchased at, www.alltechfeigames.com/tickets.

“Stacy brings to life through her amazing performance the relationship and trust between rider and horse,” said Dr. Everett McCorvey, Executive Producer of the Opening Ceremonies. “Her remarkable abilities that help to showcase that relationship are a perfect match for what we want audience members to experience during the Opening Ceremonies.”

Learning to ride at the age of six, Westfall showed an amazing natural talent with horses. After attending the University of Findlay, OH to major in Equestrian Studies, Westfall went on to become one of the top competitors in her discipline, reining. In 2006, Westfall became the first woman to enter and win the notoriously challenging “Road to the Horse” colt starting competition. The same year, Westfall won the National Reining Horse Association Championship Freestyle Reining competition sans saddle and bridle on her horse Whizards Baby Doll—the first and only time a competitor has attempted to ride without tack.

Her champion horse, Whizards Baby Doll, affectionately known as “Roxy,” was semi-retired in 2008. Westfall will be bringing Roxy out of retirement to welcome the world to Kentucky, and to the United States.

Reining is the only western discipline recognized by the International Equestrian Federation, and of the eight disciplines, and is considered America’s contribution to equestrian sport. The 2010 Games will feature world championships in eight equestrian sports at Lexington’s Kentucky Horse Park from September 25 through October 10.

Stacy Westfall is one of many equine, musical, and cultural entertainers involved in the ceremonies for the 2010 Games. Over 200 horses are slated for the Opening Ceremonies alone. In addition to the equine component of the Opening Ceremony, the “human” component includes orchestra, choir, dancers, headline musicians, movement corps of hundreds of adults and children, as well as local and international celebrities and dignitaries.

16. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    17 days to go.....
    Waiting on word about where I will park, when/where to pick up credentials/information. Do I get a spot for my laptop? Do they have lockers so we can lock up equipment we aren't using? I wish we had all this info in advance....
    It helps especially when the founder of the website I work for is coming for about a week, and will be setting up 3 remote cameras alone on some of the courses, plus whatever he will be hauling around with him! yeah, can you tell I am envious? Haha...honestly I'd love to have that kind of equipment. I'm just too poor...LOL

I am working a horse sale this weekend - largest yearling horse sale in the world, and I haven't even made out my short list yet!!!! AGHHHH what is wrong with me???? I'm too worried about the world games right now. There are 200 horses in the first catalog that sell Sun and Mon nights - I will be in the sales pavillion for every horse that goes through the ring...whew, I know, but only 100 per night, not too bad. They used to do book 1 -418 horses, selling 200 a day.
    I don't know how much of the sale I can do after that because of not having a babysitter....the sale lasts around 2 weeks, with almost 5,000 horses....
    The sale ends right around the time the world games start.
    The world Games end the same weekend our local racetrack's fall meet starts. The first weekend of the fall meet is the biggest weekend, and so I have to figure out how I can be in both places at the same time, since I am the only one from the website who is credentialed at our track!

Sorry to bore everyone, but I can't believe how busy this fall will be. I just don't know where to start...or end! Another horse sale at the end of Oct, and a big breeding stock sale at the beginning of Nov, PLUS the farms have their open houses, so it's a great time to see the stallions and get photos. I sell a lot of prints privately to horseracing fans, so getting to the Nov sale and farms is a must - that's how I've paid for my kids Christmas the past 2 years!

Yep I like to ramble....

17. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    The World Games are just days away!!! Opening Ceremonies are Saturday night!
    We're FINALLY getting more info, now that we are days away. I go and pick up my credentials tomorrow morning! The only thing that has me concerned is parking. For some reason they are doing the media shuttle from the hotels in Richmond, KY, which is a pretty good drive for me. I am about 15-20 minutes from the Kentucky Horse Park, but about 45 minutes from Richmond! I read that we can park in spectator parking, and they will give us wristbands to ride the shuttles for free. But does it cost to park? And I keep seeing 'media parking' on the maps, surely they would allow....media to park there? Unless it's just media like NBC, and other big names like that.

And... there are other little things I need to check on. So hopefully it won't be too complicated.
    See in horse racing, it's very cool, they really do cater to the media. Our local track - you can leave your stuff in the press box, they have fountain drinks, and they also serve lunch, sometimes special things on the side. Big races, they supply breakfast, lunch and dinner and a variety of drinks.
    The World Games - you have to buy your food which is priced much cheaper than spectator food. But what about drinks....? I don't eat much when I am working, but I can put down a lotta water! It would be nice if they supplied bottles of water.
    Next thing to find out is where to leave my stuff. This is what I predict to have with me:
    laptop, 2 DSLR cameras, 2 lenses, lens cleaning stuff/batteries/memory cards, which will all go in 2 camera bags and try to cram in my rain gear - poncho, and 4 plastic rain covers. These are light weight, and makes shooting easier. I also have a little carry pouch I use when I am out and about on the grounds - I keep my batteries/memory cards/cleaner, I.D. and any $$ in it as I never take it off.
    I hope I don't have to bring a soft mini cooler with ice for bottled water. It's bad enough wherever I park I have to shuttle over, and after the derby last year....lugging that stuff around..whew.

So that's the typical for a photographer....a lot of big time pros have great big suitcases on wheels...I am too poor for that LOL

It's been a lot of fun trying to figure out my schedule....not.
    I just don't know how to predict how early I should go on the days that I don't have to be there early. Not getting there early means issues finding parking spots....

I will be out there 12 of the 16 days.
    Most days I will be there from about 7am- 6-7pm, which means I have to leave early and get home late.
    There are a few days it's only evening events I'll be doing. I wonder if I could just bring a tent and sleep there LOL Not sure my kids and hubby would like that idea though....

Anyway, I am excited, not sure how to prepare myself mentally for this.
    I know I will miss spending time with my kids - plus the first week of Oct is fall break! So I won't get to spend any time with them during their break :( My youngest daughter turns 4 on Oct. 4th, and I won't be able to celebrate with her until after the world games are over :( Unless we can come up with....something in between.

Soo...... anyone plan on going?

18. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    wow! sounds exciting!!

can't wait to see pictures :D

19. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Thanks Katrina! I can't wait to start getting some pics! Wish me luck though cause I am gonna need it! ;)

I am kinda bummed because I don't know anyone that is going! Especially photographers! The ones I was sure would be there....aren't going! Or couldn't get credentialed! I know one woman I'll do a little shooting with, but not the others that will come off and on from the website, including the website founder - he comes the first week of Oct. I am the only 'beginning to end' photographer....yeah that's scary LOL I just have to remind myself, go out there and do what I love to do, don't worry about the rest :)

20. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    well.. you can always take.. a helper, right?? LOL

good luck!!