worm advice

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by crow, Jan 2, 2010.

1. crow

crow New Member

Sep 6, 2009
    Iowa
    Hello, anybody else using all natural wormer/meds ect..? I have been using these methods for a couple years now and I have one doe that just seems to be skinny no matter what I do. all my other does are kinda fatties.lol. she eats, I give her grain, still just feels so boney, I bought some ivermectin injectable. and do I understand right that in goats you put it in their mouths???? I aint gonna do this till Ive gotton some convermation on this. that just sounds not right. but I think she may have worms, I have done poop test but didnt see much that looked like trouble, (poop is really cool lookin under scope though,) has anyone used this stuff before? any advice would be great. thanks folks.

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I personally don't use the Ivermectin injectible, I use the paste. Yes, most do use the injectable orally...I believe there is a dose for it here viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1218

I think it's easier on the goat to give it orally because it burns so much as an injection.

3. crow

crow New Member

Sep 6, 2009
    Iowa
    Im sorry I plumb forgot to tell yall she is preg. (I hope.) incase that matters. thanks.

4. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I tried a herbal wormer for a while and it just did not work, I have used Ivermectin Injectable orally.....1cc per 20lbs is what I did.......have you checked her lower eye membranes for good coloring, should be really pink to red. I know that in the winter barber pole worm eggs don't always show up on fecals because they are not laying eggs. Up north barber poles are not to much a problem in the winter, but down south I know they can still have issues with them because it doesn't get cold enough... There are other cool weather worms that can cause problems up here though.

I do not breed, I only have wethers so you would need to check on what wormers to give to one that is preggers.

5. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    if your looking at herbal, and she's pregnant- then a breeder told me that wormwood would hurt the kids or cause the doe or abort.

6. pelicanacresMN

pelicanacresMN New Member

AlaskaBoers you are right about the wormwood. However, I use Mollys herbal stuff & there are 2 formulas that work in conjunction with eachother..for pregnant goats you don't use the formula with the wormwood though. I usually do a dose of the ivermectin orally once a year on all of my goats though just to change it up one in awhile. I do 1cc/40 pounds. I just looked up on fias co farm website that people were doing 1ml/50 pounds but now they are doing 1ml/34 pounds with good success orally. You can scroll down & read on this page: http://fiascofarm.com/goats/wormers.htm
    I suck it into the syringe, pull the needle out & squirt it toward their throats. It seems to work great.
    ~Karen

7. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    I started using Molly's herbal wormer a few months ago and it has work so far. The real test will be this spring when the weather starts to get warm and wet.

When I've used injectable ivomectin I dosed it a 1cc/33lbs. Make sure that you have the regular ivomec and not the ivomec plus. Ivomec plus is not safe for preggo does.

8. ENC

ENC New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    NE OK
    Regular Ivomec is safe for preggo does. Just shoot it in the mouth but beware they don't like it and will try to spit it out. I try to get it way down in the back of their mouth. I have a doe that no matter what just won't gain weight and she has not responded to Ivomec. So I am now looking for other ideas.

Evan

9. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    coccidia can cause the loss of muscle mass in adult goats -- they can hang on for a while then they go down hill. Most adult goats stools will stay normal berries so you would never know they are suffering from the effects of cocci.

best to get a fecal run by a vet. Take a stool sample in and have them check for cocci and worms.