The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sent 2 fecal samples for analysis from 2 of my does. 11 year old Nubian/LaMancha cross had been losing weight, wormed with Safeguard and Ivermectin together. Rest of the herd, no weight loss, Nubians wormed with Safequard. Sent 2nd sample from 6 year old.
Spoke with a tech repeating what vet said-"goats have worms, on a scale 1-4, first sample rated 2, second rated 1, Barber Pole primary". Recommended reworming 11 year old with Safequard or Ivermectin, if that didn't work Cydectin.
The only large animal vet in the area, more than a little frustrated with this.
This is new to me as I have used herbal mix wormer for years without problems but had to restrict girls to their yard this past year due to Perilla crustaceans within their fenced field.
Would much appreciate the opinion of people who have actual knowledge of goats.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Safeguard 5.25ml and Ivermectin 1 mg/weight approx. 75lb
Safeguard 7ml/weight approx. 100lb-January 14.
Analysis done January 18

·
Super Moderator
31,607 Posts
What herbal brand do you use? I use land of havilah with success but when weather is prime for worm bloom i add essential oils from Do terra. If you're wanting to stuck with the herbal treatment..I recommend doing acute dosing and adding fresh raw garlic daily.

Reactions: GoofyGoat

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Feed store only had Quest, said the same as cydectin. A paste-what would the dosage be?
Can probably get liquid cydectin tomorrow in another town.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So at 75lb dose would be .75cc??Will measure dose with syringe and rechecking weight now.

·
Premium Member
4,738 Posts
Safeguard 5.25ml and Ivermectin 1 mg/weight approx. 75lb
Safeguard 7ml/weight approx. 100lb-January 14.
Analysis done January 18
Meadowmist is a good lab to send fecals to. The results will give a epg count and specific for each worm or cocci load they have. $6 a sample i think to send it in... might be $8 i cannot remember.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@SalteyLove, @happybleats, @goatblessings, @NigerianDwarfOwner707, @Sfgwife
THANK YOU!! all for the information. Educating myself thoroughly on goat worms on this forum and other sites.
Wormed with Quest (Jan 20), treating for anemia (famacha score-3), fortified B injections, oral B12, probios. My girl is looking better and back to her old self.
I mixed my own herbal wormer with the most common 'worm' herbs. Land of Havilah wormer has been ordered (the free class offered with order-so helpful). KopSel also ordered. Very interested in essential oils, where can I learn more about their use with goats? Working on getting raw garlic accepted, starting with small amounts.
Will be sending fecal samples for analysis to Meadowmist Lab tomorrow. Cost is $6.00.
The only specific reference I could find for a second dose of Quest was to repeat at 21 days, is that correct?
Once again-THANK YOU!!!

·
I'm watching you
22,511 Posts
Yes 21 days if you do it sooner you run the risk of overdose. It's stored in the body fat and released from there. Since dairy goats don't have a lot of fat normally it can attack the nerve endings causing transient hind end paralysis.
If this does happen don't panic. Keep them warm, clean, fed and watered. They are usually up within a few days.

It is a wormer that I have years of experience with.

·
TKC Farms
2,597 Posts
@SalteyLove, @happybleats, @goatblessings, @NigerianDwarfOwner707, @Sfgwife
THANK YOU!! all for the information. Educating myself thoroughly on goat worms on this forum and other sites.
Wormed with Quest (Jan 20), treating for anemia (famacha score-3), fortified B injections, oral B12, probios. My girl is looking better and back to her old self.
I mixed my own herbal wormer with the most common 'worm' herbs. Land of Havilah wormer has been ordered (the free class offered with order-so helpful). KopSel also ordered. Very interested in essential oils, where can I learn more about their use with goats? Working on getting raw garlic accepted, starting with small amounts.
Will be sending fecal samples for analysis to Meadowmist Lab tomorrow. Cost is $6.00.
The only specific reference I could find for a second dose of Quest was to repeat at 21 days, is that correct?
Once again-THANK YOU!!!
On the garlic try first giving a dab of peanut butter. Once they like that for a time or 2 , take clove and swipe in a dab of peanut butter. Small cloves at first then larger whole cloves. Mind would never do anything but smell and walk off from the clove without peanut butter. Now I have to knock'em off of me so they can get it. Sometimes now I skip the PB and they just eat it clove at a time. I had one this week while I had three large bulbs in my hand , reared up and took a whole bulb from me and went to chewing on it. I had to catch and take it back but only got half of it as she have chewed it up with husks and root ball on it. 98% of mind now love the garlic but it is a training process. PB first then Garlic with PB, worked for me.

·
Super Moderator
31,607 Posts
I have a thread on here how I use essential oils to deworm my goats if you want a longer read..
I use one drop each oregano wild orange lemon grass and digestzen in 3 cc olive oil. Per goat during hot humid weather along with LOH herbal parasite formula. And anytime a goat needs extra help. I use the oils for many issues such as bloat, udder congestion, tummy upset, URI...immune support. The list goes on. Using quality oils from a trusted source is imperative. Cheap store bought or Amazon purchased oils often have fillers and chemicals added so choose well. I buy and use DoTerra brand. Have used them for years on my family and animals.

Reactions: TCOLVIN

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
@TCOLVIN will be trying the peanut butter idea. My goats are very 'treat' oriented, think it will work very well.
@goathiker Thanks for the information. Hoping the second dose will be without problems but now I'm prepared for the possibility.
@happybleats Once the current worm situation is under control, I will be returning to herbal management and so appreciate additional knowledge. I became complacent and forgot to consider the ever-changing factors in the care of my goats. Will be reading the longer thread now and finding DoTerra essential oils.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My girl is looking pretty good, starting to gain a bit of her weight back and being her normal self-complaining about the service (it's so good to hear her 'yelling' at me).
@happybleats I will be making use of the products and the classes LOH has to offer.
@NigerianDwarfOwner707 giving garlic daily, @TCOLVIN the peanut butter worked like a charm, have to offer it from outside the fence to avoid the stampede. @Sfgwife waiting for results from Meadowmist Lab so I'll know exactly what their worm load is currently. @SalteyLove I'll be studying worms, thanks for the info on the site.
I'm so very grateful to everyone so freely sharing their knowledge. Thank you all!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts