The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel like I am having a rough month, seems to be one thing after another with my goats.
I have a doe who within a week has gotten very skinny, white eyelids, laying down a lot. I wormed her with Cydectin on Saturday, today I notice I have another acting the same way, my wife says she is down in weight too. Does this sound like barber pole or liver fluke, how would I know which?

·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And if it is either I read Ivomec plus is good. How soon after worming with cydectin could I worm the Ivomec? Proper dosage on Ivomec and is it orally given?

·
Registered
30,581 Posts
Im sorry its been a hard month... but sounds like you are on top of things...

as for the worm issue, it could be either one...Ivomec plus or valbazen will take care of both
1 cc per 40# sub Q

I would go a head and re treat everyone in need with Iv. plus or valbazen..any one who has pale to white lids will also need iron, either injected or through red cell which is oral..Vit B 12 help as a support to rebuild red blood cells..
Red cell is 6 cc per 100#..I double the first dose then give reg. dose for a week then once a week until you see color return..
Vit B 12 is RX and injected 4 cc per 100# daily or you can get a product called B complex plus...which is OTC
high protien foods , alfalfa and green leaves are all helpful
here is a great article on treating anemia
http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/anemiaingoats.html

·
Registered
30,581 Posts
reason to injecting over oral:

When a goat is heavy loaded with worms..wormer meant for pour on or injected given orally kills the worms too fast..leaving many holes in the intestines and goat can bleed out...better to give SUBQ and let it do its job slower
treat 3 times ten days apart then once more in 30 days for best results...
here is an article to explain it further
http://goat-link.com/content/view/58/46/#.UeP-iWSDTL8

1 - 4 of 4 Posts