The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!
I'm having some serious issues with worms in my one goat. My goat Clark always seems to have a great deal of worms, whereas his brother seems fine. Yesterday, I checked their eyelids and Clark's was really pale. I wormed him so much yesterday and so much today and his eyelid color is no better.

I have no experience with intestinal parasites in goats so I am worried. He shows no other signs of parasites that I am noticing. No diarrhea, loss of appetite, bottle jaw, etc.

Should I worm him during the night as well?

Could there be some other causes of pale FAMACHA's? The other day, before I checked eye color, my poor goats got attacked by a dog so I was thinking shock?

Thank you for any suggestions!

·
Super Moderator
32,284 Posts
It takes time for anemia to recover. I would keep doing acute herbal dosing and start anemia protocol right away.
Red cell (6 cc per 100#) or injectable iron ( 4 cc per 100#) daily for a week then once a week until color improves. Be sure to have epinephrine or large dose of Benadryl ready incase he reacts to injectable if you choose that.
Daily b 12
30cc of 50/50 Acv/water once daily

When were they attacked? Any wounds? Stress from that definitely can cause parasite bloom

Reactions: MadHouse

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When were they attacked? Any wounds? Stress from that definitely can cause parasite bloom
They were attacked the day before yesterday. I had just taken them out for a walk when a dog ran at them. The dog was trapped and retrieved so I resumed my walk. A minute later, the dog came running back and attacked my goats again. They were fairly unharmed, however Clark did get a brush burn. I was thinking maybe shock caused pale eyelid color. Should I worm during the night too?

·
Super Moderator
32,284 Posts
The stress of that can be hard on them. Glad they were not physically harmed. Acute dosing until bed time is what I do. Rest is healing. Maybe give him a b complex shot at bed time.

·
Super Moderator
32,284 Posts
Adding fresh raw garlic can help as well.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are all those shots necessary or just to boost recovery? I don't have any of those things on hand, I've never given a shot before, and I won't be able to get an epinephrine for a long time.
Is acute dosing once every 3 hours, or 4x a time? I saw both.

·
Super Moderator
32,284 Posts
Red cell is oral no need for epi for this. It's a horse supplement.
B 12 or b complex is injected but does not hurt. Needle size can be 22 g..
These are important to his anemia recovery.
The 50/50acv/water helps speed recovery.

·
Super Moderator
32,284 Posts
On acute dosing..LOH has protocol on her web site. I would do at least 3 times a day..rest at night for a week..then 2x daily for 3 days. Then I would do 3 times a week.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Does that makes sense, Kenny? He needs the B vitamins to recover from anemia, whether he still has a parasite load or not. The injectable B complex is fairly easy to find, and administer, even for newbies. You can do it! Red Cell is oral and even easier to find. You can put Red Cell on feed or feed with a (no needle, of course) syringe.

Crazy dog story...sorry that happened to you and your goats!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Does that makes sense, Kenny? He needs the B vitamins to recover from anemia, whether he still has a parasite load or not. The injectable B complex is fairly easy to find, and administer, even for newbies. You can do it! Red Cell is oral and even easier to find. You can put Red Cell on feed or feed with a (no needle, of course) syringe.

Crazy dog story...sorry that happened to you and your goats!
Yes, thank you so much for your patience and encouragement! Is an epinephrine necessary for the injectable B complex? Can I find needles at TSC?
I put getting all these supplies off for so long, shame on me. I wanted to put together a first aid kit for my goats so I would have all this stuff on hand but never did and now I need it!

·
Super Moderator
32,284 Posts
No need for epi with red cell...and b complex as stated will be good if you can't get b 12 which is RX.

This time of year worms are very active. They love it hot, wet and humid.

Reactions: JML Farms

·
Registered
387 Posts
If grazing animals are left in one spot more than a couple weeks and/or you have rain/high humidity, then the parasite reproduction cycle thrives. To break the cycle there needs to be a break from grazing of several weeks (the longer, the better), keep them grazing high (not lower than 4"- that's where parasites reside), or rotate with species that don't share the same parasites, or dry lot them (no grazing). Some animals are just more susceptible too. Feeding raw garlic helps a lot.

I've never heard of anaphylaxis from B injections. Most would only scoop poop if it's making their feet wet or their food dirty.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts