The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help! We've been having a major problem with worms in my herd. My vet did fecals, checked for cocidia, which was negative, and said to use ivermectin . Followed her instructions, over 3 weeks ago, but havent seen any improvement. As a matter of fact, i lost one of my girls this week. Please help!! My others don't look as sick as she did, but I know we still have a heavy worm load. I am absolutely sick over her dying, so any advice will be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
4,677 Posts
Please help! We've been having a major problem with worms in my herd. My vet did fecals, checked for cocidia, which was negative, and said to use ivermectin . Followed her instructions, over 3 weeks ago, but havent seen any improvement. As a matter of fact, i lost one of my girls this week. Please help!! My others don't look as sick as she did, but I know we still have a heavy worm load. I am absolutely sick over her dying, so any advice will be appreciated.
How many doses did they get? How far apart?What dosage did you do? Which ivermectin did you give and how? Have you had a second fecal done to give you results from the first worming? What is their famacha? What and how are they fed? The doe that died... are you sure it was from bein wormy or could it have possibly somethin else? Pneumonia has been runnin amok lately because of this crazy weather. A location may help people know what worms are common for your area and how they have to treat their herd for them. Sorry for all of the questions but it will help others when they are tryin help you.

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
Ugh, ,I'm so sorry for your loss. We do need the answers to all the questions listed above especially the type and dosing of ivermectin that was used.

Current research says that when you deworm goats, you should be deworming with a combination of two dewormers on the same day. Not all veterinarians are following goat parasite research closely.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,400 Posts
Ivermectin has a pretty limited reach by itself. Did anything actually come up on your fecals? If so, which worms exactly?

The sudden death is what is interesting to me. Did you get an autopsy? The two things that stand out to me for it might be a blood sucking worm like barberpole, or pneumonia.

Famacha scores on all the goats? What's your weather like? Anyone have coughs?

I'm a big fan of natural deworming ;) Have to throw that out there. https://thegivinggoat.home.blog/201...ive-natural-deworming-regimen-how-to-and-why/

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
I read an article today that was published in 2015 in a Perdue University farm magazine that said that barberpole worms that become resistant to Ivomec then breed with a nonresistant worm have resistant offspring. That is why Ivomec has become useless to so many sheep and goat owners. Most veterinarians do not know that they are prescribing something that no longer works. The same vet that does the original fecal and prescribing should do a follow up fecal to know if wormer is working.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm in Ga. So we have had so much rain it's gotten ridiculous . We do have a couple with coughs. I've decided I want to try a natural wormer, since everything I've tried seems to be failing. I am going to take a fecal in to my vet Friday, jyst to see if anything has changed with the one that appears to have the heaviest load. I've wormed him 3 times so far with non chemical wormer. So I'll let y'all know the results. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,400 Posts
I'm in Ga. So we have had so much rain it's gotten ridiculous . We do have a couple with coughs. I've decided I want to try a natural wormer, since everything I've tried seems to be failing. I am going to take a fecal in to my vet Friday, jyst to see if anything has changed with the one that appears to have the heaviest load. I've wormed him 3 times so far with non chemical wormer. So I'll let y'all know the results. Thanks for the help!
For coughs I like to go with garlic. Herbal workers are good, but garlic really kicks them out. Garlic does deworm, but I find I get the best results and best health when I use garlic and herbs:

https://thegivinggoat.home.blog/2019/01/01/using-garlic-to-improve-herd-health/

https://thegivinggoat.home.blog/201...ive-natural-deworming-regimen-how-to-and-why/

1 - 12 of 12 Posts