Wormer- oh boy!

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by PixieDustHollow, Jul 2, 2010.

1. PixieDustHollow

PixieDustHollow New Member

Oct 4, 2007
    Delaware
    Wow, I am a bit out of the goaty-loop!

What is considered the best "all around" wormer these days?

I need a very broad spectrum wormer for both pymgies and boers(no one is pregnant or being bred soon). I have no problems giving a liquid or shots. I just need to get these guys wormed and fattened up.

Thanks girls and guys!

Edit- I guess this thread should also go in the vet subforum.... :roll:

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Injectible Ivomec will work for most stomach worms, praziquantel is best for tapeworms around here...though in your area Safeguard(febendazole) may still work for tapes.

Also...the injectible can be given orally, some prefer it that way due to the fact that the injection stings.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    injectable invermectin does just about everything but liverflukes and tapeworms.

I know the horse wormer ZimectrinGOLD is an invermectin base but also has praziquantel for tapes.

4. MiGoat

MiGoat New Member

Apr 21, 2010
    West Michigan
    ivermectin plus will cover the liver flukes. The 'plus' is clorsulon.

5. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I need to get some ivermectin injectable soon, but where do you guys get yours? What exactly do you guys use? Do you have a link? I've always used different kind of dewormers, but want to try this stuff since our herd deworming is coming up shortly.

6. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    you can the ivomec 1% inj for cattle and swine, or the ivomec plus
    you can buy it pretty much anywhere that sells livestock supply, around $34 for 50ml.

7. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Ok, checked Jeffers and looks like they have it. Off to order some... Another question...is there a certain place to inject the wormer that works better than another or just the typical injection areas? Or this can be given orally correct?

8. We have always used ivermectin and valbazen and it has always done well. Use Safeguard paste with these at times but have not really had an issue till recently with the new Ivermectin that came out, starts with an N, Noromectin I think. It may not have been the wormer but that I was missing another worm, another post is out on that one. I have heard both good an bad on it from folks so waiting to hear what the verdict is on that.

As for injections I use the hip or the shoulder. Find a fleshy spot. I try to stay away from the neck and you can do some damage there if you are not careful or know what you are doing.

9. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    I like Equimax horse wormer. It has the Ivermectin combined with Praziquantel like Zimectrin gold, but a stronger dose of Praziquantel. We had known tapeworms on our property, so that's why I went with the stronger dose. It's supposed to also get liver flukes.

10. PixieDustHollow

PixieDustHollow New Member

Oct 4, 2007
    Delaware
    Are all horse paste wormers a "triple"(triple the goat's weight)?

11. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    all but Quest - if you use Quest be sure to follow the dosage correctly

12. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Is the injectable invermectin safe for pregnant and/or nursing does? I ordered some yesterday.

13. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    Ivermectin is safe for pregos and nursing, but the Ivermectin plus isn't safe for pregos. I think Ivermectin Plus and Valbazen are the only two that aren't safe for pregos of the common wormers used. I'm not sure about nursing does, but I wouldn't use them just in case. I think I read that the Valbazen can cause bone development problems in young kids under 6 months. Not sure about the Plus in Ivermectin Plus.

14. speedy94c

speedy94c New Member

May 31, 2010
    Central Arkansas
    Let me get this strait, If I have a 75 lb goat I need to give it a dose for
    a 225 lb animal? If that is the case ive not been giving mine enough, this may be why im having some problems.

Thanks Steve

15. hphorses

hphorses New Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Waldron, SK. Canada
    Ok so is the Noromectin safe for preggo does orally or SQ?????

Tara

16. MiGoat

MiGoat New Member

Apr 21, 2010
    West Michigan
  17. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Yes, you need to triple the goats weight and give the dose according to that.

No..it is not safe for pregnant does...injection or orally, it is the SAME as Ivomec Plus

18. hphorses

hphorses New Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Waldron, SK. Canada
    Oh poop! Ok so if a persons suspects mites then what should I use if the does are preggers???

Thanks so much, Tara

19. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    You can safely use a permethrin spray or the " plain" injectible Ivomec...without the plus

20. hphorses

hphorses New Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Waldron, SK. Canada
    Ok not sure I can get that spray up here in Canada but I will look and I will also get regular ivermec, I can use up our Noromectrin on the horses so no biggy, I am glad I have been putting off worming the goats then!

Tara