Wormer Question

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Devin, Mar 12, 2011.

1. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    I've heard that goats require more wormer per pound of animal. How much more per pound?

2. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    What wormer are you using?

3. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    I will most likely use Ivermec, horse paste, and safeguard horse paste.

4. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    When using Ivermectin horse paste you would triple the goats weight.....safeguard is not going to get much of anything but tapes.......have you had fecal ran to see what kind of worms if any?

5. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    Yes, right now they are clean. I'm asking for imformational reasons, for the future. Would you also triple the safeguard?

6. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I am not sure on safeguard, I have never used it......I know they have a safeguard for goats, which I would think you would go with label dose on that one.

7. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    Oh, OK, I have never seen it, I'll have to look! Thanks!

8. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Safeguard for goats is in liquid form, never used it as I feel that any Safeguard or Panacur (febendazole) is a waste of $ due to the resistance parasites have against it..With goats having such high metabolism, it's neccessary to get an accurate weight then multiply by 3 to get the dose required to treat for parasites. I use the horse paste Ivermectin when needed, I don't routinely worm my goats, I do so after I run a fecal and see the type as well as if the numbers require treatment.

Febendazole is the med in Safeguard and Panacur, the main parasite it will treat is tapeworms and small stomach worms, check with your vet to see if your area has a resistance to it, it will save you some $ in the long run.

9. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Safeguard works at 1cc per 10 lbs of bodyweight or 4X the label dosage (3x the dosage for the Safeguard labeled for goats)

10. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with Liz....we too... have an issue... that safeguard doesn't work anymore here for our goats through adult fecal testing.........I personally don't use it..

11. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    That is very good to know, thanks guys.

If it doesn't work well, then what do you rotate with? I know with my horses that using the same thing all the time increases resistance and you should rotate at least 2 wormers and it is better to rotate with 3. Which other wormers are good for goats?

12. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    It's actually best to not rotate wormers with goats, thats how resistance is created. You can use a broad spectram wormer such as Ivermectin or Valbazen when worming is needed, and use the same med til it doesn't work anymore, then switch.