The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so it's time to worm soon and I usually use Ivermec 1% plus but I have a big bottle of Valbazen that's good til 2015 . Should I just use it since its not breeding season for me yet?

·
Registered
30,616 Posts
Valbazen is a good choice ( not for pregnant does)...1 cc per 10# orally

do you worm on a schedual or is there a need to worm? Worming when not needed can cause a resistance to the wormer when you do need it..Its good practice to worm only as needed using either fecal (ideal) or famancha eye chart http://goat-link.com/content/view/110/107/#.Uh-eLGSDQxc

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,324 Posts
Cathy always has good advice. My vet said, the new protocol is to use one dewormer until it stops working (be very careful not to under dose). Then change dewormers. If you are out of Ivermectin and have the Valbazen on hand then I would do the switch, but, just continue to use the Valbazen till it stops working. Of course, you wouldn't use it on the pregnant girls. I don't deworm on a schedule here (except for the preggy does get dewormed after kidding), I check eyes (or any mucus membrane on a light goat).

·
Registered
30,616 Posts
We use both the Ivomec Plus and Valbazen..both get the same worms but Valbazen also gets tape worms when used three days in a row...these are the only wormers we use until they no longer work.as Di said..we do not rotate outside of the two..each has a purpose...I use Ivomec plus on all my goats except kids under 6 months old and new moms or if Tape is the issue...Valbazen is used for Kids and New moms to help rid any Tape she may have picked up, plus its not a shot lol..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts