The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I alternate safeguard and cydecton right now (except bred does that only get safegaurd until open) I worm on an as needed basis. I know there are different wormers and rotations. Any suggestions?

Caleb, Liptrap Livestock

·
Registered
30,594 Posts
It is better to use one wormer ( or two if they have different function) until it no longer works to prevent resitance to too many wormers at once...We use two wormers because they have different functions
Ivomec Plus which I use injected on everyone over 6 months old and Valbazen whichis oral I use on kids and brand new moms and any one with tape worms...both kill theliver fluke worm where others do not..

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I'm trying to figure things out also. I've been using ivermectin 1% injectable orally and safeguard . It was obvious that I was having a problem with tape worms. I treated with safeguard and it was useless for me so I treated with valbazen and it worked for me on the tapes. But after a visit to the vet with fecals he told me that I was gonna be in a mess if I continue treating with ivermectin because it obviously isnt working.he suggested that I switch to cydectin also.

·
Registered
30,594 Posts
Many time when we hear Ivomec doesnt work any more its because Liver fluke eggs and Barpole eggs look very simular so many times when Ivomec is not working its because you are treating the wrong worm...Ivomec does not kill liver fluke..only Ivomec Plus and Valbazen do. If you are going to treat for Barpole, my as well treat for liver fluke with on medication : )

·
Registered
30,594 Posts
Yesit is safe...I have used it many times....1 cc per 40# sub Q is how I use it. best place is where the neck meets the body,..lift a nice tent there...seems to bother them less,,,then get them walking..it does sting a bit

·
Registered
30,594 Posts
Clorsulon is the "plus" medication in Ivomec Plus...it is the only know killer of Liver fluke. It is in Iv. Plus and Valbazen. The reason we dont use just clorsulon is because it only kills liver fluke and nothing else...so if you need to worm, a more broad wormer is better in case other worms are lerking...here is a link on clorsulon, which is deemed safe for pregant animals : )
http://www.elephantcare.org/Drugs/clorsulo.htm

1 - 7 of 7 Posts