Wormer thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Thanatos, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    Ok I was lookin for all my missin stuff and ran accross this wormer , IVOMEC® EPRINEX® Pour-On for Beef & Dairy Cattle, I was wonderin since it is a pour on not an oral or injectable what you guys think I found it here
    http://www.jefferslivestock.com/ssc/pro ... H5FBM6FW3D

Thanks ahead. I am gonna need a wormer soon the vet is comin to get Lunas poo for a fecal and she is still pooin loose even after a probiot treatment. And that wormer doesn't have a milk dump. thx guys yall been super helpful

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I wouldnt use a pour on orally. SOme say pour ons are terrible for goats others have no problem

I personally get the Generic Ivermectin in the 50ml bottle that is injectable then I give it at a rate of 1cc per 20lbs orally.

LE-F6 Generic Injectable Ivermectin, 50 ml $27.49

3. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    No i didn't mean to give orally, I meant instead of an oral or shot. :) , I hate givin shots, i think the goats resent me for it. this just seemed easier and w/o any milk or slaughter withdrawal.... Plus it treats external critters lice mites and lice. BTW my supply order is at about $100 from Jeffers :ROFL: my wife will have kiddlets when she hears.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    like I said pour on is not reccomended for goats by many people - but I have never tried its so I can not talk from experience.

Ivermectin doesnt need a long milk withdrawl I do believe Liz just throws out the milk for 3 days (I think thats what I did to when I was milking - so far I havent needed to worm my does in milk, or if I did I didnt even think about throwing out the milk :doh: :ROFL: )

5. badnewsboers

badnewsboers New Member

May 9, 2008
    Newport, NC
    The only issue with pour ons is that a goat's skin is different than cow hide. So pour ons when used in the way intended can sometimes cause issues because more of it can be absorbed at a faster rate.

However pour ons can be given orally with no problem. I myself use Cydectin pour on for my goats.

6. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    The pour-ons are designed to work with the oil in a cows skin. The goats have different oils and such in their skins and the pour-ons don't absorb this way.