Wormer

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by SNKGoats, Aug 30, 2010.

1. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Yep....I so agree with the whole hydration theory....I can go out to the barn on a hot day before 3pm and can tell by looking at my guys membranes whether they have drank enough water without even looking at their water buckets.....my guys always take in their biggest amount of water late afternoon, they have always been this way.....come 3-4 pm they will drink a 4 gallon bucket of water between the 4 of them.....early in the day they will look paler than late afternoon into the evening.

2. UdderNature

UdderNature New Member

Sep 1, 2010
    Wonderful info here! I'm new here so the answers to my questions are probably here somewhere but I'll ask anyway..

Anyone have experience with herbal remedies? I've read that Mugwort (cronewort) fed regularly will keep worm counts down. I'd like to try it but I know that there are possible liver concerns with long term use which brings me to another question: what side affects do dewormers have?

Also, how do the dewormers affect the goat milk for human consumption? How long should I wait to resume drinking it?

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I've no experience with herbals, sorry :(

When I do need to give a chemical wormer, I use Ivermectin paste....I give the milk to a neighboring pig farmer for 3 days, Ivermectins are used in humans to treat internal parasites so I feel safe enough using the milk for my self after 3 days.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    in the Goat Sense 101 section there is a topic with a link to the withdrawl times for wormers and other medicines. I suggest you print it off or save it to your computer :)

5. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    McMaster Slides are the way to go when running your own fecals.....they are pricey, but so worth it!

6. DPW

DPW New Member

Mar 13, 2010
    Crow, Oregon.
    FAMACHA and FEC's are simply tools for individual goat producers to use in the fight against internal parasites. There simply is no "one size fits all" approach to this issue. To think that either of those tools alone would be able to provide all the information needed to control parasites in goats is unrealistic.
    Every goat producer's situation is different. Everyone must find what works best for them. If that means worming all your goats twice a year whether they need it or not so be it. Makes no sense to me but that is just my personal opinion.
    I'll continue to use both FAMACHA and FEC's, paying close attention to the condition of my goats and culling the ones that continue to carry a heavy worm load. I live in western Oregon. Conditions are ripe for the production of internal parasites in livestock. But I don't have much of a worm problem. We run a small herd of about 50-60 Boer cross goats. The expiration date on my 50 ml bottle of 1% Ivermectin injectible comes up before I run out.
    FAMACHA and FEC's play a role in keeping our goats healthy and somewhat free of parasites. But surely not by themselves.