The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have always used SafeGuard(Fenbendazole) in kids and pregnant does. However after our last run in with the barberpole(which set off coccidia) we did a test and it is almost completely inactive. We have used Valbazen on does before breeding(it isn't safe in does the first 45 days of pregnancy) and have used Cydectin sheep and goat(oral drench) to clear up the barberpoles(which it did).
The only thing is I don't know what is safe for kids.
I've heard there are questions as to whether or not Cydectin is 100% safe for pregnant does, but I know someone who breeds sheep you hasn't had a problem with pregnant ewes. I know Valbazen isn't within 45 days of breeding and Oxfendazole(Synathic and Benzelmin) isn't safe for pregnant does.

So what is/isn't safe for kids and what is the youngest you can safely give it? Is the dosing different?
I just don't want to run into a parasite problem where we are going to more shows and buying off other farms and not know what is safe and how to use it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
For our kids we give valbazen or ivamec plus injectable.
Valbazen is not safe for pregnant does but ivamec plus is safe for everyone.
Don't give pregnant does anything during the first trimester cause it can cause problems.

·
Registered
17,201 Posts
Ivermecin Plus is not supposed to be safe for pregnant does because of the flukicide in them, which is why Valbazren isn't safe for pregnant does. I would not even use Valbazen after the 45 days because it is likely that it will cause birth deformities. Same goes for Ivermec Plus.

But plain Ivermectin is safe, generic brand Ivemectin is safe, and safeguard is safe for pregnant does. I have used Cydectin cattle pour on with pregnant does, and kids as young as a week and a half old. But I use it they way it was intended, as a pour on.

Valbazen, Ivermectins, generic brand Ivermectins, SafeGuard, Valbazen, Cydectin, and many others I have found to be safe for kids.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.