wormers

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by AlaskaBoers, Mar 3, 2010.

1. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    Hey everyone!

so I noticed Odin my FB Boer hadnt really gotten bigger appears less muscular. I checked his lids (I can actually touch him! after 6 months!) and they looked a bit pale- so I gave him ivomec. this was Monday. So today I went out and gave him more ivomec as I hear you're supposed to worm twice within ten days to kill worm larvae. true correct?

I and others here had problems with some goats not growing as well as they should be, like last year I had a small yearling... but once I started feeding a feed with bovatec (similar to rumesin and monesin) they picked up weight and condition. so...I think I may have a cocciodiosis problem? I'm going to see if I can get a fecal done in a bit. also that was during the summer when temps are 60F ish. Odin also had another buck to fight with.. so he has been a bit lazy lately hanging around eating hay.

I havent been feeding this feed since fair, I've been saving up cash and this is an expensive feed $17 per 50lb bag (no job...lol). so do you think that if i started feeding feed with Bovatec again they'd get back on track? btw- I cant find any rumesin or monesin up here

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    you did the right thing to dose him again with the ivermectin

as to the coccida possibility -- if you cant afford the feed and they do have cocci then can you try getting something like Baycox or corid?

I really like Baycox because its a one dose and it kills all stages of the cocci. It can be pricy but its worth it when you have a large enough animal or a large enough herd.

the cheepest I have found it is through sites on the internet and they are in Australia.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Yes ...you did right by giving it again 10 days later... :wink:

I agree with Stacey on either method of treatment for cocci....

A fecal is a great idea....it will let you know for sure.... Tapes also comes to mind in which Ivomac doesn't take care of.... so the fecal may see that if it is there...

They may get back on track...if all worms ...cocci ect...is under control...no matter what you feed.... :wink: :hug:

4. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    does cydectin or ivomec plus treat tapes?

I'll probably get the medicated feed again..

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Ivermectin does not treat tapeworm infection. Praziquantel is effective against tapeworms here, due to the fact that febendazole has become resistant(safeguard&panacur)

These are a couple brands of horse paste wormer that contains Praziquantel...Equimax and Zimecterin Gold...both also contain ivermectin.

6. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    okay, and yeah, that comes in a paste.hmm, what the dosage on equimax or zimecterin gold for goats?
    3x right?

7. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    oh... I also have 3 bags that were given to me :

Hoegger Herbal Womer...

has anyone used this with success?

8. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    I have never tried the herbal wormers, was warned early on that they aren't effective, though have heard of some with good results.
    Could it be that Odin is just in a slower grow phase right now?
    My guys have been fiddling with their Boer Goat Developer w/rumensin at a year old so right now they dont get it. I know he should get it when in rut but Im still learning about buck requirements.

9. horsecrazy

horsecrazy Guest

Mar 3, 2010
    I have never tried horse dewormers on my goats... how much do you give them?

10. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    wondering the same...

some seem too small to me. must be either genetic. or I'm doing something wrong. :(

11. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Paste wormers for horses is all I use for mt goats when needed.

Triple the goats weight and use the dose for that weight :wink: