Worming a mean goat

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Mandoziz, Aug 5, 2010.

1. Mandoziz

Mandoziz New Member

Aug 4, 2010
    My five year old boer whether is a cranky old fart. He's big and has horns that he likes to use if you invade his space. He'd be eaten if he belonged to anyone else. I can't do that. My question is: how do I worm him? I've had him since he was weaned and has been a wild one from the start. I used Ivermectin orally on him up until about a year ago when he got mean. Any ideas how to get a wormer down his throat? He's not the kind of goat anyone can man handle. He needs to be wormed.
    Has anyone had any luck with the grain wormers?
    I can brush him and feed him treats, but if I try to catch him he rears and tries to head butt me. Uggg.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    how do you know he needs to be wormed? goats arent like horses that need to be wormed every month, I only worm as needed. I currently have some poop off to the vet for a fecal sample to be done since it helps me target the right worms with the right wormer.

As to the grain wormers - no I have never used them.

Can you give him a shot? Ivermectin Injectable is 1cc per100lbs

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    If he has a beard .....grab a hold of it and pull up his head.....they are big puppy dogs that way... have the wormer ready and you can deworm him down the throat.... it is amazing how ....you can control them....you can even get them to walk about anywhere .... by pulling/leading them that way.... let me know if it works..for you. :wink:

4. Polarhug

Polarhug New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Southcentral Alaska
    I mix a dose of ivermectin paste into about 1/2 cup grain with molasses. My mean ol buck eats every last kernal.

5. Mandoziz

Mandoziz New Member

Aug 4, 2010
    Thanks for the replies! No he doesn't have a beard. I really like the idea of mixing the worming paste into his food with molasses. THAT would work. :p

So now my question is, how do I know how much to worm him for....I have no idea how much he weighs. When he was two years old (before he got mean) we were trying to figure out how much he weighted so my husband picked him up and stepped on a bathroom scale. Broke the scale. So we figured he was well over 150lbs back then. Anyone know how much a big boer wether might weigh? Then I just triple that amount for a horse wormer paste?
    You guys are awesome. Thanks for the help!

6. CrossCreekTX

CrossCreekTX New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Central East Texas
    Grab his ears and twist. He'll behave as long as you have him by the ears.

I wouldn't keep a mean animal for anything. Somebody is going to get hurt bad.

7. Itchysmom

Itchysmom New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington
    Before I tried worming this guy, I would send in a fecal sample and see if he indeed has worms and what type. No sense in fighting him if you don't hve to. If the worm count is really really low, don't worm him.