The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys
I have a year and a half old Nigerian Dwarf. he is an only goat as he is a buddy for one of our Retired horses.

I noticed the other day his hair is suddenly thin (long guard hairs but very little under coat when 2-3 weeks ago he was fluffy) and dull coat and he is very itchy and has dry flakey skin.
Now he had been wearing a blanket ( we have recently moved from hot Arizona to a cold wet environment in Delaware both he and the horse were not coated for the sudden change thus blankets)
anyway I noticed he was shivering pretty bad.
I called a Long time friend in TX who raises meat goats and she suggested I drench him with
Cydectin and I did and treat him with power punch because he is probably Anemic (his eye color test was a 3 ,she suspects barber pole worms) witch I did yesterday along with the Cydectin .
She is also sending me a copper bolus so I don’t have to order a whole bottle for just 1 goat. We apparently are low in copper in Delaware
The question I have and she didn’t know an answer for is will the Cydectin drench kill any mites he may have? He acts like he has mites but I can’t see anything. Keep in mind he lives with a horse so I have to be careful of anything topical and it is still way to cold for a bath.
I did strip their stall today and bedded it with fresh bedding.

also he was much improved eye color (I can’t remember the test name off hand)and was no longer acting cold . He was bouncing and playing and getting in to trouble like usual today lol
And he has never lost his appetite.

And yes I will be sending a fecal out 2-3 days after his second dose of wormer like the lab suggested.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I would suggest giving him a little red cell orally to help get his iron count back up. I use the cydectin oral sheep drench for worms also and it works pretty good. I don’t think is does much good for mites. It’s important to follow up treatment and get the fecals done to make sure what enemy you are fighting and how severe the problem is. The copper will be a good tool to have in your routine fight against worms, but regular fecals and famacha checks are your best weapon for heading off problems. Also make sure he has free choice minerals that only he gets away from the horses.

·
Registered
6,435 Posts
Welcome to the goat spot.
Do you see crawling bugs in the flakey hair or scabs and red crusty skin?
(Photos will help here please) it also could be a zinc deficiency too.you can give him a human zinc tab once a week.
No, the cydectin won’t take care of skin bugs, you’ll need the blue ivermec pour on, dose it at 1cc per 22lbs.
If it’s mites you can wash off the scabs and apply nustock every couple days to clear it up.
Good luck

·
Registered
11,162 Posts
Cydectin will not address mites or lice. I would guess he has lice from blanketing but mites are definitely possible. Inject Ivermectin subcutaneously at 1mL per 100lbs and repeat in 2-3 weeks. That should clear up the itching and hair loss.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would suggest giving him a little red cell orally to help get his iron count back up. I use the cydectin oral sheep drench for worms also and it works pretty good. I don't think is does much good for mites. It's important to follow up treatment and get the fecals done to make sure what enemy you are fighting and how severe the problem is. The copper will be a good tool to have in your routine fight against worms, but regular fecals and famacha checks are your best weapon for heading off problems. Also make sure he has free choice minerals that only he gets away from the horses.
He has free choice goat minerals in a creep feeder that the horse can't get to. And how much red cell should I be giving?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
(Photos will help here please) it also could be a zinc deficiency too.you can give him a human zinc tab once a week.
No, the cydectin won't take care of skin bugs, you'll need the blue ivermec pour on, dose it at 1cc per 22lbs.
If it's mites you can wash off the scabs and apply nustock every couple days to clear it up.
Good luck
No, the cydectin won't take care of skin bugs, you'll need the blue ivermec pour on, dose it at 1cc per 22lbs.
If it's mites you can wash off the scabs and apply nustock every couple days to clear it up.
Good luck
no bugs can be seen or scabs or even red skin. Only symptoms are his hair is dull and thinning (no bald patches) And he is itchy
My friend sent me a copper bolus to give him (should be here in a day or too) and I warned him with the cydectin drench
She was thinking it's probably not mites but just worm load and low copper
She also said something about him having a fish tail.

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Cydectin will not address mites or lice. I would guess he has lice from blanketing but mites are definitely possible. Inject Ivermectin subcutaneously at 1mL per 100lbs and repeat in 2-3 weeks. That should clear up the itching and hair loss.
Question about the dosage of Ivermectin injectable. I went according to the medicine cabinet on my buck who is just over 100 pounds (while my vet gave him 1.5 ml the first time, and the itch continued). Did I give too much?
Ivomec/Ivermectin injectable- Used for mites, extreme cases.
1 cc per 40 lbs- SQ.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Red cell orally is 6cc per 100lbs. How anemic is he? The test is famacha you can Google it and see the different colors of the inner eye to determine how anemic he is. Also with the minerals you may check and see what minerals are deficient in your area and supplement based on what's lacking.

·
Super Moderator
32,306 Posts
Question about the dosage of Ivermectin injectable. I went according to the medicine cabinet on my buck who is just over 100 pounds (while my vet gave him 1.5 ml the first time, and the itch continued). Did I give too much?
Ivomec/Ivermectin injectable- Used for mites, extreme cases.
1 cc per 40 lbs- SQ.
1 cc per 40 pounds sub q is correct dose.

·
Super Moderator
32,306 Posts
Thinning hair definitely can be a copper issue and or Zinc maybe needed.

Here is a anemia chart to base his anemia on

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Red cell orally is 6cc per 100lbs. How anemic is he? The test is famacha you can Google it and see the different colors of the inner eye to determine how anemic he is. Also with the minerals you may check and see what minerals are deficient in your area and supplement based on what's lacking.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have redcell already for my horses and he’s only about 45 to 50 pounds.
I ordered some zinc tablets they should be here tomorrow, and he gets free choice goat mineral (just added that this week) from tractor supply the small bag.
My friend sent me a copper bolus to give him so I didn’t have to order a whole jar for one goat she mailed it yesterday so hopefully that’ll be here shortly

·
Registered
6,435 Posts
I have redcell already for my horses and he's only about 45 to 50 pounds.
I ordered some zinc tablets they should be here tomorrow, and he gets free choice goat mineral (just added that this week) from tractor supply the small bag.
My friend sent me a copper bolus to give him so I didn't have to order a whole jar for one goat she mailed it yesterday so hopefully that'll be here shortly
The manna pro mineral? (Small orange/red bag) That's not a great mineral. I know you probably don't want to spend a fortune on only one goat, but if you could get purina wind rain and storm or purina goat mineral they are much better and one bag would probably last a whole year. Sweetlix meat maker is really good but pricey and harder to find.
You'll find it makes the world of difference.
With the red cell, give 3cc's a day for a week then once a week until the inner eye lid is pink then once a month.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts