The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of schedule do you guys have for worming your goats. For example with horse once every 2 months. But how often do you worm your goats??

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How do you know when you need to worm them?c

·
Super Moderator
59,929 Posts
Get fecals done. Check their eyelids against the FAMACHA chart. Body score them on a regular basis. The fecal tests to include coccidia are the absolute best way to know if your goats have parasites.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok thanks for all your help just wanted to be sure

·
Goat Owner
75 Posts
In the case of doing fecals, it can quickly be cheaper to actually invest in a microscope and learn how to recognize the different bugs than in having a vet do them (especially if you have more than just a couple of goats). There is the initial investment and learning but fecals can add.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok I think I will just check their eye lids

·
Registered
125 Posts
Is there a specific brand of wormer that is recommended, for drenching does immediately following kidding? I've read that Cydectin is a last resort wormer...This is my first season with breeding, and I have 2 does due in February (a LaMancha and a Nigerian), and another due in March (our other Nigerian Dwarf).

·
Goat Owner
75 Posts
Is there a specific brand of wormer that is recommended, for drenching does immediately following kidding? I've read that Cydectin is a last resort wormer...This is my first season with breeding, and I have 2 does due in February (a LaMancha and a Nigerian), and another due in March (our other Nigerian Dwarf).
You would want to check with other goat people in your area. Some wormers seem to work in one place but not in another. From recent recommendations, it is said that you should stick with the same wormer until it no longer works on your farm, then switch to a different kind (from a different class). I know that many people use Ivermectin.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
K thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts