Worming my dog

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Goatherder, Oct 24, 2007.

1. Goatherder

Goatherder New Member

Can I worm my great pyrenees who weighs 150 piunds with the same ivemectin injectable I use for my goats? If I can how much do I use and do I just squirt it in his mouth?

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Ivormectin will not work on the typical parisites that are found in dogs and cats. Typically they carry round worms, hook worms, and / or whip worms.

The coccidia that goats and llamas get are specie specific, so no need to worry there. I would call your vet and get Strongid - or Albon (albon can be used in goats also - 15mgs / kg and safe in lactating or prego dams)

Also there is a pill - trying to remember the name - give me a minute - can see the bottle - darn can't remember the name. I will think about it and let you know.

DRONCIT! Thats it! It is for tape worms (caused by swollowing a flea)

So depending on the type of worms you have, is what you want to use.

We only used Ivormectin for mange when I worked in vet medicine.

3. getchagoat (Julie)

getchagoat (Julie) New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Waco, KY
    Ivermectin works on dogs for heartworm, but not the other worms. You need dog wormer.

4. Shelly

Shelly New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    California
    To much Ivermectin will kill your dog. The amount used for heartworms is every low compared to what you give a goat for worms. Shelly

5. Goatherder

Goatherder New Member

I was just trying to find something cheaper. My vet charges $140 for a 6 month supply for each dog and we have 3.
    Does anyone have any other ideas? Would cydectin work or cause problems or not kill the worms?

6. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Have you checked 1800Petmeds? They called my vet for a prescription and it was 1/2 the price for the two things my dog getd. I don't remember whether the heartworm med I use is prescription or not- it tteats for fleas and ticks too.

7. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    You are probobly talking about Revolution, and yes it is prescription.

The only thing about Petmeds.com is that they are not neccessarily the real product. The manufacturer will not guarentee any meds that come from anywhere but a veterinarian.

So, if you are on say, Heartgaurd for heartworms, and you purchase from Petmeds.com or anyplace other then a veterinarian office, and the pet contracts heartworms, they will not pay for the treatments. Or if they have a reaction, overdose, or anything, the company will not take any blame or help in any way.

I am very cautious on using these type of companies personally

8. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I use the herbal wormer from Fias co Farm, for my dogs, goats and horses.

9. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    I do think that there is some risk from getting meds from Petmed- the deramxx I get for Phoebs comes from Canada. And I know there is a risk of counterfit drugs. But the vet charges me $280 for a 90 pill supply and Petmeds is $142. The Sentinal is similar-
    I would rather get my meds from the vet but the price is just too much.

10. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    You may want to call around to local vets in your area, as alot of times there is a cheaper clinic to get them from. I hate how alot of vets jack the price of rx's so high that it is crazy! But there is alot that goes into keeping the rx's available and in stock for clients.

11. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I have a problem with the tapeworms in my 2 dogs. Fleas and bunnies are the culprit...I have a ton of rabbits and a beagle mix that just loves to chase them and pick up their BBs...the other one just usually picks them up from the first one...I use the same safeguard paste on the dogs as I did my goats...took some research but Safeguard also makes powdered wormer for dogs...for a 35# cocker I give 2 1/2 cc for 2 days and for the 20# beagle mix I give 1 1/2 cc for 2 days...got rid of the tapes and didn't hurt my dogs.

12. Goatherder

Goatherder New Member

I am mainly worried about heartworms because they can kill a dog. I have heard of people using the same wormer for their goats and livestock dogs but don't know any specifics. 1 person said they used cydectin on their dogs but I don't know how much they used or if it even works.

13. jaymerose

jaymerose New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Minnesota
    For basic worming I use strongid from the vet which is not that expensive. I also give my dog the heart worm medicine. When I take him in for his yearly check up I never pay more than $130.00, which includes his lime disase and rabies shots, heart worm meds and wormer.

14. cornishwlr

cornishwlr New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    louisiana
    Heartguard's main ingredient is Ivermectin along with another wormer. I use Ivermectin for swine on my dogs for over twenty years. We use 1/10 of a cc for every 10lb of dog giving orally. We have never had a problem with our dogs. You can also get worm tablets at the feed store a lot cheaper than the vets.

15. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Jaymerose- boy I wish that vet was here- I paid $268 for my last well dog visit to the vet- with no meds what so ever.

16. getchagoat (Julie)

getchagoat (Julie) New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Waco, KY
    We've put 1cc per 100lb. of Ivomec on our guard dogs' shoulders for heartworm preventative.

17. jaymerose

jaymerose New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Minnesota
    WOW!!! Mine gets tested for lime disease and gets the vaccine and rabies shot plus meds. I have a very wonderful vet, although she is just a small animal vet.

18. Goatherder

Goatherder New Member

That sounds good. Will ivomec injectable work or do I need the pour on kind or can I give it orally?

I will still take my dogs to the vet once a year for shots and test. It will save me a lot though. :D

19. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    The main thing with Ivermectin in dogs is that if the dog has ANY collie, border collie, sheltie, or any combination that includes these, Ivermectin can cause deafness in the animal.

All worms can cause death to an animal if they are in the system long enough. They cause anemia and starvation inside the animal. Where heart worms actually go to the heart and lungs where it enlarges the heart and causes it not to work correctly, leading to death by heart failure and phnemonia in the lungs.

Cornishwlr - your baby is SOOOO cute!

20. cornishwlr

cornishwlr New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    louisiana
    Thanks but that is my grandbaby. That is his mom holding him is his mom. We use injectable Ivermectin but give it oral. Since none of our dogs weight 100lbs we break it down into smaller doses. one tenth of a cc for ever ten pounds. And yes you do have to be careful not to over dose. But we have been giving this dosage for over twenty years on advice of a vet that liked to save his customers money.