The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone. sorry for the long post. I recently got into goats and picked up 3 does from a woman getting rid of them. There is 1 pygmy/nigerian doe about 6-7 years old, and 2 boer/nubian does that just turned 3. However, they have never really been wormed. The woman said she used Durvet goat wormer pellets a few months ago.

The pygmy is a little skinny, but I'm thinking it is more worms and she is at the bottom of the pack. I was able to check her gums and they are a slight pale pink. The one Boer also has pale pink gums. I cannot touch the other one. I picked up ivermectin injectable, but I'm hoping to give it to them orally. They all will accept bread right from my hand, so I was planning on squirting the medication onto bread (maybe adding some molasses) and feeding it to them individually. I cannot touch the one Boer doe, and the other 2 will only let them touch me when they are eating.

I'm a little worried since they have not been wormed for a while. I read that sometimes killing all the worms can cause internal bleeding. How common is that?

·
Administrator
84,669 Posts
If the gums are really pale, I would inject it.

If they are a semi good pink, it should be OK giving orally.

I do not recommend giving it on bread though, it should be by syringe to ensure it gets in there. I give 1cc per 33 lbs orally
Give 10 days later to get hatching eggs.

Use you best jugment about the way to give it, whether it is orally or inj, You are there to see the gum color, as I am not.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is definitely not a crisis level pale. They are all eating, running, and playing around with their tales up. Their eyes are clear and they are very animated. The only reason I thought of bread if because the one will not let me touch her. As soon as I move my hand, she bolts. Even feeding her, she waits until I back away before she moves in. She will accept a treat from me, but only if I stretch my arm out really far away from me right now. It took myself put 3 other people to get her to my house, and she has some giant horns.

·
Super Moderator
59,602 Posts
Do you have a smaller area that you could create like 6x6 or smaller? Put feed in there so it isn't a "bad" place. Then close a gate and you should be able to catch them.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The other two are fine with being handled, so I know they won't be a problem. I have an area about 5x5 that I made to feed the little pygmy separately since she was getting bullied out of food. I had the same idea and put the boer in there to check her feet, it did not go well. She ended up getting so scared that she tried to jump the fence, and I got kicked in the process.

I think I will just wait until I can get some volunteers to help hold her down. I have not had her for long, so hopefully she will trust me enough soon so this is not a problem anymore. Thank you for the help!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts