Worming PG does

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Mary Thomas, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Mary Thomas

Mary Thomas New Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Hi
    I have a question about worming before delivery. We have some does getting ready to kid in about a month and I wanted to worm them but not sure if I can use Cydectin. I believe I read that is ok but want to make certain its ok this close to delivery time. Thanks.

2. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I wouldn't. I would worm them after kidding with that since after kidding is when all the eggs hatch because of the change in hormone levels and what not.

3. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Yep, RunAround is right, worm the day of kidding then in another 10 days. There are safe for preg wormers but I've never done it.
    Kidding is the optimim condition for parasite parties.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I worm my preggo does ....1 month prior to kidding..... Also..that's the time..I CD&T the Does..... it helps with stress loads..... at kidding time and the worms don't take over at that point.....it also helps the kids... until they are old enough to be wormed/ vaccinated..........after they are born.....I only use Ivomac Injectable ....down the throat 1cc per 33 lbs.... ( Do not use "Ivomac Plus".. it is harmful to preggo does)..... I don't hit them 10 days later..... and never have an issue..... always have strong healthy kids.....and momma's... :wink: :thumb:

5. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    I too have wormed my pregnant does 1 month prior to kidding, and also just like Pam, I vaccinate them then too so the kids get some immunity from mom

6. Mary Thomas

Mary Thomas New Member

Feb 21, 2010
    It's 2 for and 2 against, hum.... Well I think walk the fence and worm the does that are due further out now and the the ones due within the month after they have their kids. Thanks a bunch. :stars:

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    No problem..... :wink: :thumb: :greengrin: :hi5: :thumbup:

8. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    that sounds like a good plan