Worming pregnant does questions

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by trailriding2dressage, Apr 1, 2010.

1. trailriding2dressage

trailriding2dressage Member

Mar 25, 2010
    We have questions about worming pregnant does.
    We usually use safeguard liquid wormer it says it's safe for preg. does, but we aren't sure if we should risk it, they are two weeks away from 150 days.....

Also, any wormers out there for lactating does? We usually have to throw out the milk for a week after worming because safeguard "is not for lactating does"

thanks so much,

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Safeguard is used for tapeworms...it doesn't do much to other parasites. Ivermectin paste is what I use when needed, triple the goats weight to get the dose. Also, since Ivermectin is used as a "wormer" for people I usually only give the milk to my dogs for 3 days, after that I use it.

3. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Cant answer your question I know some are safe for preg does but I just dont do it (anal that way :greengrin: )
    I do however worm the day they kid & again in 10 days.
    Happykidding to ya!

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    safeguard is safe as is Ivermectin

I do as Liz does with the milk

5. trailriding2dressage

trailriding2dressage Member

Mar 25, 2010
    So the ivermectin is just the wormer i use on my horses?

And (she 9 days till due date) wait until after she kids to worm her? Or worm her now?'
    I read one thing that said worm the doe now so that the worming meds are passed to the kids........thanks for all the help! I don't have but one goat owning friend and they're like me...still new and wanting to do it right.

6. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Worm meds are NOT passed to the kids in utero.
    I would wait until she delivers. The hormones and the stress of delivery cause the worms to explode in the growth and egg laying.