The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is safe to worm pregnant goats with? I gave them all ivermectin at the end of October just before breeding them but I am a little worried because they look like maybe a three on famacha.

·
Registered
30,573 Posts
A fecal wouldn't hurt, but keep in mind cold weather months they may not be accurate. A 3 isn't great but what in considered borderline. I would consider how far along they are along with other signs such as condition of coats, weight, poop and so forth. You might look into herbal for prevention during pregnancy. I love using Land of Havilah. All my goats look deep pink to red red.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Which product of land of havilah do you use? I've never used any herbal wormers I've always liked the idea but always assumed they didn't work as well as chemical wormers. So it sounds like it's working for you,I have always struggled in keeping barber poles at bay and all my Nigerians has always been around a three so. I would love to give them something that would bring them up to that level.

·
Registered
30,573 Posts

·
14,760 Posts
Definitely have a fecal done and deworm according to what you are dealing with. Just avoid any unsafe dewormers for pregnant does like Valbazen. We try to deworm as needed after the 2nd month of pregnancy, typically use Cydectin or Quest horse paste, and haven't had any issues. I've heard/read 'rumors' that worming in the first 2 months can cause birth defects, but not sure how true that is. So I like to play it safe.
It's been a mild winter here, so if it's been mild and wet where you are at and you have had a history with Barberpole I really think the fecal would be a very good idea.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts