Worming Q's

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by gnomes'n'goats, Apr 27, 2008.

1. gnomes'n'goats

gnomes'n'goats New Member

Oct 8, 2007
    Under a mushroom
    Wasn't entirely sure where to put this thread but here goes!

My four year old fourth freshening doe has been having worm troubles. She's always been on the thin side and hard to keep dewormed. All our goats get herbal wormer and free choice DE and do fine on it- but Lena not so much. After she kidded about 2 weeks ago her poop got really soft. I thought I would wait it out- maybe her tummy was a little messed up after kidding. After a few days, instead of getting better it got worse and she's been really skinny. We have wormed her generously with herbal wormer and she's improved. I would like to deworm her with Safe-guard (fenbendazole) equine dewormer to get her really well wormed. I was wondering if/ when I should give it to her and what the dosage would be. She is also nursing her kids and I was wondering if it would harm them. I am not milking her for our use so that isn't an issue.
    TIA!

G'N'G

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    triple you does weight and then use the dosage for that weight. You can't OD so estimate high rather then low.

Nope it will not hurt the kids at all.

3. gnomes'n'goats

Oct 8, 2007
    Under a mushroom
    Thanks much! :greengrin:

4. gnomes'n'goats

Oct 8, 2007
    Under a mushroom
    K I forgot to ask- how often should I give it to her? Once? A few days in a row? Once a month?
    :?

5. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    With the Safeguard as well as I vomectin you should dose again in 10 days as the "eggs" hatch that weren't killed with the first dose.

6. gnomes'n'goats

Oct 8, 2007
    Under a mushroom
    ahhhh, okay, that makes sense

7. cjpup

cjpup New Member

Dec 1, 2007
    TX
    I would sugest Ivermec instead of Safeguard. Ivermec kills a much better array of worms than safeguard. Thats just what I have learned and experienced over the years. Others will tell you they have had great luck with Safeguard!

CJ

8. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    It all depends on the worms that you are trying to get. Safeguard is for certain worms and Ivermectin is for others.
    The reason the dewormers are NOT working anymore is people are OVER USING IT.
    I just took a class on this, I was very happy to hear I was right on on how I treat my goats. The reason they do not work anymore is they are so ever used and now the worms are immune to it.
    First of all you have to find out WHAT type you are trying to treat and treat those. The worst thing you can do is just use any wormer that you have because you have it.

9. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    If you have been using herbals for your worming regimen and have not used chemical wormers that much then safeguard should be affective for you. I dose at 3x(ie 100lb doe gets enough for a 300lb one) and give it three days in a row. THat worked great for me and if they needed it again in three weeks then I did it again in three weeks.

10. gnomes'n'goats

Oct 8, 2007
    Under a mushroom
    I've only used safe gaurd once on my goats and that was about 5 years ago. I like to stick with the natural deworming but I figured Lena could use something different and maybe more potent.