Worming w/Safeguard and runny poo

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by goatilocks, Jul 4, 2008.

1. goatilocks

goatilocks New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    gainseville, ga
    I wormed my 5 goaties last Sunday. Today I noticed one has runny greenish poo. She is acting totally normal other than this. I don't worm on a regular schedule, they were getting palish eyelids so I wormed everyone.I used the safeguard for goats and used the recommended dosage. I was just wondering if this is a result of worming and should clear up on its own. If it is, why did it take so long to be runny? :?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Well did she get into any extra grain or browse/grass recently?>

Have you tried giving her some pepto to firm up her stools?

safeguard doesn't always work for all worms so you need to check her eyelids to see if she is still pale and if so she needs a stronger more broad spectrum wormer

3. goatilocks

goatilocks New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    gainseville, ga
    No diet change, no extra browse. Haven't given her pepto today, been out for the 4th. :fireworks:Came home and noticed she had a dirty fanny and saw some piles of poo.

4. susanne

susanne New Member

Nov 12, 2007
  5. If your doe is under 6 months of age and the poo has a strong odor you might want to treat for coccidiosis.
    Regardless, I would get a different wormer as StaceyRoop suggested.

6. foot

foot New Member

Jul 17, 2008
    ..for us We offer baking soda free choice for all tummy upsets. Anything given by mouth can upset a goats rumen (including medications). Safeguard wormer is a white wormer mostly effective for tape worms and has not been much good for our goats. We use Ivermectin cattle wormer. We use the injectible (syringe without the needle) or you can use the ivermectin horse paste. Dont forget the baking soda. Another imortant factor is goat minerals. Well balanced minerals will aid the goat in its constant battle with parasites.

..Good luck..

..Foot..

7. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I would still have the fecal done, a week after a worming shouldn't cause the diarrhea, and runny poo associated with cocci doesn't always stink or even be just one color....there are some of us that dealt with cocci this year and unfortunately not all cases have the same symptoms otherwise we would be on top of it before it was too late and had caused it's damage...best bet is to take a sample to the vet and have it checked. :)