Worming

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by StaceyRosado, Oct 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    So I have a question about levasole. I am dealing with an older doe that may have lung worms. I do fecals regularly, and she has been wormed as needed. I know that lung worms can be nearly impossible to detect, so I want to treat her for lung worms to see if there is any improvement.
    I have read conflicting information about levasole such as if you use it before worming with another chemical first, you could kill a goat that is infested. I am hoping some one has experience with levasole and can give advise on it. Is it better to dose with shhp, swine, cattle? Also the dosage for a 60# goat. Thank you so much for any help!!

2. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    I am trying to find information on using levasole in my old Nigerian doe. I have reason to believe that she has lung worms. I have read conflicting information about the effects of levasole, one posting (just from a google search) said if you don't use another wormer first, levasole can kill a goat. I am just wondering if there is anyone that has used it, knows how to dose it, and which kind should I use..swine, cow, sheep??
    I do regular fecals and have never found lung worms, but I understand they are very hard to find anyways.
    Thank you so much for any advise!!

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    lung worms wont be foudn in a fecal.

as the levasole I have never used it but have been told you need to dose according to weight and must have an exact weight on your goat.

4. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    A baerman fecal will show lung worms although it is very difficult to do and not every technician knows how to do a baerman fecal. I personally have never done one, but one of the techs I work with has. There has to be a shedding of the fluke in order to see the ova, which doesn't always happen when collecting for a fecal.. It is a hard situation for me, trying to figure out why my old goat coughs..
    Thank you for help!

5. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    A baerman fecal will show lungworms, they are not easy to do, but they can be found..

6. DVentHill

DVentHill New Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Hello =) so I guess my question about worming is.. What wormers are safe to use in goats intended for meat? I have wormers for my horses and according to what I can find on here it say I can use them for my goats but all the labels say "do not use in horses intended for human consumption"... so I'm taking that as I can't use the goats I worm with these for food? :scratch:

7. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    The medicine in horse wormers are typically Ivermectin and Febendazole....The latter being used in names such as Safeguard and Panacur. Ivermectin is a medicine used in people with parasites, milk withdrawal is 14 days, I believe for meat it is 30 days....Febendazole has the shortest withdrawal times in milk 4 days, meat I'm not sure of.

8. Myakkagoater

Myakkagoater New Member

Apr 10, 2010
    Wow, alot to know about worming it seems. I am very new to goats. I have had a small herd of 5 that has quickly turned to 13. My herd is a mix of Kiko and Boer. I have only wormed using the wormer pellets that TSC sells. I don't think it is working though. If you look under the eyelids it is a pale pink not a bright pink. So with that being said. I have 3 does that all had kids about 6 weeks ago. They are all still nursing. The entire herd got a CD-T vaccine one the first day of Oct. and I plan on booster the kids on Nov. 1. We live in Florida and all the goats and 2 horses, 35 chickens, 3 dogs and 1 Cat share the same pasture and barn lot. All of the goats have very normal looking poo. Nothing out of the ordinary. So my question is this: If my does are still lacating can I worm them now? Should I worm the kids with a different type of wormer? Should I worm the wether that is about a year old with a different type as well? Should I treat the does differently if they are pregnant versus not?

Any advise will be helpful

9. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    dont give pregnant goats Valbazen

You can give lactating goats wormer -- just if you are going to drink the milk you need to do the proper milk withdrawl for the individual wormer.

10. Myakkagoater

Myakkagoater New Member

Apr 10, 2010
    We are not going to drink the milk. Just the kids will nurse from there mothers. Should I worm them as well or will they recieve from there mothers enough through the milk? My wife bought injectable ivermectin for other stock so I plan on using this.

11. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Give the kids their own dose, I normally worm kids at 6-7 weeks if I feel they need it. If my does show they need worming per fecal, I worm kids as they do tend to pick off the ground and if mom is shedding eggs, the kids likely have them too.

12. gcib

gcib New Member

Nov 25, 2011
    Kiev
    Re:

You should always try to feed natural pet food! :ponder:

13. EandEBoersWV

EandEBoersWV JandHFarmWV

Dec 12, 2011
    WV
    A neighbor goat farmer told me about Prohibit dewormer for swine and sheep. Has anyone on here tried that for goats?

14. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Prohibit is the name of the brand...the drug it contains is Levasole which is also in the wormer Levamasole

15. Goat Lover 98

Goat Lover 98 Nazarene Valley Saanens

I use Ivermectin on my does and Valbazen on my bucks and wethers with great success. I only deworm if I see pale eyelids, loose stool, a cough etc. so the parasites don't become immuned. I'm really pleased with the results of this program.

Kbennj and K Gemmill like this.
  16. Nikki99

Nikki99 Junior Member

Oct 12, 2012
    Washington State.
    Do you need to use certain or different dewormers on males vs. females? I noticed some people use different dewormers on does then they do bucks and/or wethers.

Kbennj likes this.
  17. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    The different wormers used between does and bucks is usually the owners choice.. mainly because certain wormers such as Valbazen and Ivermectin plus should not be used on pregnant does.

18. I noticed that one of my 2.5 month old does has loose / mucousy stool every now & then. I have Valbazen & Safeguard on hand. Which worming medication would be best for them since they're still so young & what would the dose be?

19. duckcreek

duckcreek New Member

Jan 9, 2013
    Hi all-
    I am new to goats. I am involved in animal rescue and found myself suddenly the owner of five rescued petting zoo goats. I got them in September. They are pygmy/nigerian dwarf crosses, and one Saanen cross.
    I have been reading and working with my vet but these goats have issues.
    I lost a little one to worms on Dec 23 despite keeping up on dewormer (marantel). The vet said to double the dose for the others but it didn't work and I lost my beloved Saanen cross yesterday.

I dosed them all again with marantel, a half dose. But then the vet called me back and wanted me to get levamisole. I picked it up at the after hours desk last night. Dosing is 1.7ml per 10lb body weight.

BUT here's my question. Do I need to wait before dosing, since they had marantel yesterday? I don't want to wait because I don't want to lose another, I love these goats, they're my pets.

My vet is not in until Monday - we live in a big rural area and he's on the other side of our district doing cattle. His associates are not well-versed in small ruminants, and do almost 100% small animal.

What would you do?

THank you in advance

20. onehorse_2000

onehorse_2000 New Member

Sep 17, 2012
    I am not sure what Marantel is? Do you have the drug name of what is in it? Has a fecal been done? Do you have a vet that deals with goats or at least cattle/sheep or something more similiar then a cat? What symptoms do they have? Are they eating, drinking, moving manure, is the manure normal? Lots of information needed, you might want to start a new thread for your guys to get more responses.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.