Worming

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by StaceyRosado, Oct 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oliveandcookie

oliveandcookie New Member

Mar 1, 2013
    Anyone here use garlic and fresh pumpkin for worms? That's what all my friends with goats use. It's inexpensive and it works great I've heard! =D

1277 likes this.
  2. goatmama2

goatmama2 New Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Upstate New York
    I would like to worm all of my goats today. My 2 does are due to kid in about a month. Is there a wormer that is best to use now? I have drenches, pastes, etc. I prefer to worm once before kidding and would appreciate advice. It is still winter here, snow on the ground, so no one is eating much off the ground! Thank you!

3. animalfamily

animalfamily New Member

Nov 23, 2012
    I haven't tried the pumpking seeds, although I have heard they are an excellent wormer; especially in humans [yes, we get wormy too ;)].
    I have used garlic to treat many issues in my animals. Garlic is a natural antibiotic. It's the sulfur compounds that contain it's medicinal properties. We even use it ourselves whenever something is going around. If we do get sick, it is very short lived. I recommend "Kyolic Liquid". It is aged garlic, very concentrated, and doesn't give you garlic breath.
    I found a recipe a long time ago for a natural wormer. I contained garlic, molasses, and bran. Not sure of the amounts, I'm sure you could google it. I found it in an old "Mother Earth" magazine.
    I haven't used it in a long time as we have so many walnut trees around and the goats scarf up the leaves. I think this keeps them from getting wormy. As someone mentioned in a previous post, black walnut is a good wormer also!

4. kramsay

kramsay Legacy Lane

Mar 6, 2013
    Southern IN
    When do you guys worm kids?

back ground info: she was pulled from the mom with in three days.. I think the mom has been wormed probably yearly I am not for sure though.

Sprinkles likes this.
  5. WeLoveOurGoats

WeLoveOurGoats New Member

Mar 9, 2013
    New York
    We use Molly's herbal wormer from FiascoFarms. I really like it because it is strictly herbs and the parasites don't build up a resistance to it like chemical workers do. It's a year-round wormer and it's good for their immune systems also. Here is a link to read about it and you can purchase it there too.:D
    http://www.fiascofarm.com/herbs/mollysherbals.php/categories/herbal-wormer

6. Lily's Mom

Lily's Mom New Member

Jun 8, 2012
    Ran into a strange, unexpected problem this past week. My Aussie has this bad habit of eating "goat berries". I deworm with Ivermectin. It poisoned my AUssie. :( Had no idea there was a contraindication here. My vet never said a word.

7. ThreeHavens

ThreeHavens 7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether

Oct 20, 2011
    New Jersey
    Not sure if I've posted here yet ... I also use Molly's, it's been fantastic to us. We have Ivormectin around just in case, and also Sulmet for Cocci if we need it :)

8. kramsay

kramsay Legacy Lane

Mar 6, 2013
    Southern IN
    So is Molly's like a feed they eat?

9. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I believe Mollys is a top dressing you sprinkle in their feed.or you can make a ball by adding a bit molasses to give it to them that way...as for pumpkin ...I read its the seed and great for worming chickens too...they need to be blended for chickens but I bet not for goats..

10. TeriA

TeriA New Member

Apr 29, 2012
    Central Kansas
    Dectomax for lungworm

I just got off the phone with my vet. I called for a proper dosing recommendation for Levamisol for a 130# goat and he talked me into Dectomax as it's an injectable and broad spectrum. He will admit that he is not necessarily a goat guru.

Anyone use the Dectomax? She has been coughing when she gets to running around.

11. cheyenne

cheyenne Junior Member

Aug 20, 2011
    MO
    I have been using Molly's Herbal Wormer for over a year and have been very pleased with the results!
    However, just in the past week I have noticed my goats eyes are looking pale and anemic and now I'm stressing over whether to use Ivomec or Panacur paste for horses or keep giving Molly's Herbals extra doses. I emailed Molly yesterday for advice but haven't heard back from her yet.
    Also, I don't know how to dose using the chemical wormers on pregnant does (or none pregnant ones for that matter!) I have Ivomec injectable for cattle and swine 1% sterile solution and I have panacur paste horse wormer here. I do not know how much my goats weigh. I have not had a vet do a fecal on them, I tried doing it myself but I am not very good at it.

12. Goatlover08

Goatlover08 New Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Can you worm a doe that is 2 months pregnant with safeguard?

13. Lily's Mom

Lily's Mom New Member

Jun 8, 2012
    I use herbal or safegard on my pregnant does. Also like the homeopathy that Jeffers carries for farm animals. Its in a small bottle with a dropper, just ordered my third bottle but can not think of the name right now.
    I use the tape measure method to estimate weight. Then I use Ivomec Plus .1cc per 10 lbs - 170 lb goat gets 1.7 cc then repeat in ten days X 3 rounds.
    Least invasive method that gets the result you need is my motto.

14. ilovemyanimals74

ilovemyanimals74 New Member

Apr 22, 2013
    I was advised by my vet to treat lung worm with Safeguard for cattle. He too told me to do it 3 days in a row. I have the Safe-guard (fenbendazole). Any advice before I treat them? I am just new to the goat world

15. Lily's Mom

Lily's Mom New Member

Jun 8, 2012
    I use Ivermectin + because it gets everything from lung worm to mites to liver flukes. Try Safeguard, you may like it.

16. gmos719

gmos719 New Member

Apr 19, 2013
    Texas
    How often do I need to give the Ivermec to treat for worms?

17. Lily's Mom

Lily's Mom New Member

Jun 8, 2012
    I use Ivermectin + when I see the need and before breeding season. I use 1cc for every 10# I believe. I do this every ten days for three cycles and then follow up with a 4th in 30 days after the last ten day cycle. That way you get all the parasites no matter what stage of life they are in.

18. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    I have been treating my goats with injectable ivomec for leg mites- 1cc per 25 # injected sq every 10 days for 3 times, then once a month later.
    No problem (except that it must sting a bit). My question: One doe that I was treating was ready to kid on the day she needed her
    3rd dose- I didn't want to upset her while in labor, so I didn't give her the injection until 4 days later. Is that ok? And, do I need to orally worm her
    since she just kidded, or will the injectable ivomec take care of any parasites? I don't want to overdose her.

I usually do my own fecals, but wasn't sure what to do about her. Thanks for any advice/help.

Are leg mites more prevelant this year? I have never had them before, this yr. I had 2 whethers and 3 does with them. (and does are 2 miles from the whethers!)

19. Lily's Mom

Lily's Mom New Member

Jun 8, 2012
    I heard that the mites like to nest and hide in old hay and straw. Our barn had old hay in it when we bought the place so I am going to clean all of that out this summer. Then I am going to sprinkle Borax all over the loft. That will help I hope! I thought they were awful this winter!!

20. ThreeHavens

ThreeHavens 7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether

Oct 20, 2011
    New Jersey
    First thing I would do is run a fecal so you know what worms you are up again. If you just deworm generally, it may not take care of the worms you need it to, and instead the worms are buildling immunity.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.