Worming?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by liz, Oct 6, 2008.

1. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I usually do a quarterly worming on all my goats, and so far so good...last fecal showed nothing "out of the ordinary", now I plan to take Binky to be bred and know that the breeder had an issue with barber pole worms and has treated all her goats per vets instruction, since breeding and the "ride" can be stressful I do plan on giving Binky a dose of probiotics, should I worm her now or wait til she's "done".....I use Ivercare at breeding time and at delivery as my vet has told me that Safeguard is not very good with the parasites resistance to it. She's due to come in heat again the 19th......if I wait and worm her on the 10th I can give her the second dose on the 20th....or just wait til after she comes home? :shrug: :?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    wait till she comes home so you can treat her just in case for the barber pole worm and then treat 10 days later. That way you dont have to double up on wormer if she does indeed get worms. Wormer isnt prevenative, meaning eventhough you wormed them last week it doesnt guard against the worms they come in contact this week

3. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    That's what I would do too, treat her when she comes home. . . . hope all goes well and she settles the first time! :)

4. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    So do I!! Healthy goats mostly have resistance to parasites but I was more worried about the stress of the ride...it's not very far away..about 25 miles and the stress of being in a strange area bringing her immunity down.... I'll wait til she's bred then. Thank you both :hug: