Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by countryboy, Feb 10, 2009.

1. countryboy

countryboy New Member

Dec 7, 2008
    My goat is kidding and this is our first kid. I am wondering what kind of wormer can I give to her after she kids if I plan to milk her?
  2. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    You can probably use pretty much any wormer you'd like BUT there is a milk withdrawal time, usually about 21 days. So, I would check the bottle to see what that milk withdrawal time is. I use Valbazen quite often, I believe the withdrawal time is 21 days, not sure though.

I really recommend using an herbal dewormer. We like the one from Fir Meadow. http://firmeadow.com/

Fiasco Farm has a long list of dewormers, dosages, and withdrawal times. http://fiascofarm.com/goats/wormers.htm

3. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Well something I always ask. What type of worms are you treating for? It totally depends on that. Certain dewormers will work for certain worms and NOT others.

I just had 7 does kid and I never dewormed a single one. I did fecal floats on them and they were just fine, so why do it?

I truly believe that is why so many people say that like Safeguard is not working anymore, it is way over used.
  4. countryboy

countryboy New Member

Dec 7, 2008
    To be honest, my wife started this thread. I asked her to get involved because she loves the baby, born, watch part. She came on the site to get some heads up and seen that you should worm right after kidding so that is where we are at.
  5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I do understand and a lot of people do. I just do not because I do not feel that you should do it just because they MIGHT have a problem.

They say that due to the stress of kidding that can cause them to become more active and there for they deworm them. But I have never had that problem so I do not do it just because.

That is MY opinion, Please I am not telling you that is the way it should be. I have never used a full bottle of medication on worms before in 9 years.
  6. countryboy

countryboy New Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Thank you for you opion. We need all the advise we can get.
  7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    first off after a kidding you should have a fecal done within that first week to determin what kind of worms your girl has. If your managment is good then you wont have an issue with worms but sometimes even with the best efforts they get wormy.

Most wormers are effective for certain kinds of worms. So best to know what you are dealing with.

Now there are broad spectrum wormers like Vabazon (sp?) and Ivermectin, Cydectin etc so you probaboy will get it covered by either of those wormers if you choose not to get a fecal done (recomended though).
  8. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I usually don't worm right after kidding, but do have a fecal done twice a year...late spring and early fall.....I do watch for signs though, if the eyelids appear too pale, I will dose them with Ivercare paste for horses.

Parasites tend to "take over" when an animal is stressed and weakened, wether it be an injury or a birth.

Use your best judgement, if you feel that she would benefit from a worming, then do so....with Ivermectin I give the milk to the dogs or to the neighbor for his pigs for 3 days....never had any ill effects drinking it after wards.
  9. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Ivomec is the most common that I have found for after kidding. And because it is a med used for humans also, alot of people only do milk withdrawl for a couple days if any at all
  10. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Kidding does cause the worms to party. This is why some worm the doe the day of kidding.
    Check her eyelids. Are they dark pink or pale pink? If pale she needs to be wormed.
    Not all of us can afford fecal test twice yrly or have a microscope and all the neat stuff for fecal testing, much less catch the goat in the act.
  11. PotterWatch

PotterWatch New Member

Jan 23, 2009
    So. California
    I did a search for Ivercare and found this thread. I need to worm both my does. One is in milk and the other is pregnant. Is the withdrawal time on Ivercare paste the same as the Ivermectin injectable? I saw on fiascofarm that she only did a four day withdrawal time on the injectable and her reasons for doing such a short time. I'm hoping the paste is the same since I just can't see dumping my milk for 21 days...