worming ?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by cdtrum, Jul 11, 2009.

1. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Ran a fecal on one of my older wethers this a.m..........been doing some studying and saw what I believe to be a couple of liver flukes, I know most do not show up on fecal......but there is a type that does, looks very much like a barber pole, but there is a difference if you study pics of the 2 eggs.......Anyway, I just wormed last month with plain Ivomec because I thought they may have lungworms because of coughing.........SOOOOOOO question is, should I go ahead and worm again with Ivomec plus which would get Liver Flukes?.......afraid of over worming.
    What's your thoughts?
    Thanks, Denise

2. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Worm them again...from my understanding if goats have quite a bit of worms they usually all don't get killed with the first deworming so I always deworm for a second time around 2 weeks after the first deworming. Make sure you get a wormer that will deworm the types of worms you are seeing in the fecal sample. You can't really over deworm a goat unless it's like quite a bit over the recommended amount on one day, but after a week or two it is safe to deworm again. Hope that helps. :wink:

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Anytime... you have a fecal done and it is found.. to have a worm overload...treat with a wormer to kill that worm type......then repeat .... 7 to 10 days later to get the hatching eggs... :wink:

4. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Should I give the Ivomec injectable orally, was reading about how it can cause bleed out........thoughts please?

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I would give it orally.....if the count ...wasn't real high.... :wink:

Bleed out can occur ...... if they are very badly infested...

How are there gums?

6. I think this is how I lost my last goat. She was pretty anemic so I gave her Valbazen orally and she just went completely downhill from there. Died a week later.

I would deworm orally ONLY if I knew it was a moderate to light parasite load. If a heavy load is suspected by FEC or from severe anemia, I would give it SubQ.

7. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Eyelids are as pink as they ever are......my guys have never had as red/pink eyelids as the Famacha chart shows. They are not showing any signs of worms, I ran fecals because I'm leaving town for the week and want to make sure everyone is ok.......found the 2 liver fluke eggs on slide.....I don't even now if 2 eggs would call for worming :shrug: ?

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    2 eggs isnt bad - remember goats will always have some worm count ;)

you can worm with ivermec Plus if that makes you feel better but it isnt absolutely necessary - if it was my goat though I would worm

9. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Thanks Stacey......I went a head and wormed them this evening.....I have never used the Ivomec plus and was a bit worried from readong some past post, but I was just out there locking them up for the night and they seemed just fine.