The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How often should I plan to worm? Obviously as they need it but generally when do you see the affects of the other wormer wear off, and how often do you rotate thru the wormer, cydectin, prohibit, valbazen

·
Registered
355 Posts
Hey there .. great question
unfortunately you'll find 30 different responses to the question :)
Basically it's what suits your herd, knowing your goats is key. I use Ivermectin Plus but some areas don't have liverfluke so you may only need Ivermectin. Some areas stay wet longer and you'll need to watch the babies for Coccidia and factor that in. Mine have some coccidia year round but never in numbers that are a problem for the babies.

Some alternate med's to stop resistance but as you will see from the responses.. everyone is different. I don't worm on a schedule, I worm as needed and I always use Ivermectin Plus. It's the wet years that are a problem for me so when it happens it's on a 3 doses/10 day period. The last three years have been gracious to my herd.

Learn the FAMACHA method and watch your goats coats, weight and bloat factors.. again, it's what works for YOU :)

·
Super Moderator
58,935 Posts
I don't use dewormers unless I actually have a problem.

Supposedly you should use 1 dewormer until it no longer works if you do it on some type of schedule. That way you won't have resistance to all dewormers around the same time.

·
Registered
30,673 Posts
I agree with Karen. worm as needed..

I do worm my does right after kidding and any time I bring in a new goats..other than that..only as needed

for cocci I now dose once with baycox at three weeks old..then only as needed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts