The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
1,524 Posts
I fecal weekly during the warmer months and monthly during the winter. If the worm egg count is high, I deworm using the medication that targets the worm(s) that they have the problem with.

I also have been breeding with worm resistance in mind. Some animals have a higher worm resistance, so I keep kids from those animals and sell the rest. Eventually my herd should be worm resistant.

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,082 Posts
I also use herbal. I use Fir Meadow herbs; GI Soother for coccidia and barber pole, and DWorm A for stomach and tape worms. I combine both and give it twice weekly at Kat's suggestion, since my area is prime for parasites. It usually keeps them in very nice condition. This year I had one kid come down with cocci -- I treated with acute dosages of Fir Meadow and he cleared amazingly fast. Doing great now. :) I prefer the herbs as the parasites cannot grow resistant to them, and since I am using the meat and milk from my goats I am more comfortable with that. I love the thought that the herbs nourish their system, instead of stripping the flora like chemicals do.

I don't have anything against chemicals at all, though! I just like using herbs when I can, because then if I NEED a chemical, it has a better chance of working because the parasites on my farm shouldn't have grown resistant.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts