The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am receiving a crash course in worms and anemia this month. We have 3 goats and now 4 sheep which we keep together in the same pen as pets. Two weeks ago a lamb stopped responding and we put it under our vets care it died 48 hours later. The vet gave me the prognosis that it was anemic, underweight and had a very high worm count.

Last week I proceed to use Ivermectian in all the animals at a dosage of 0.2mg/kg for the sheep and 0.4mg/kg for the goats. However this being the first time I have every preformed a deworming I worried that I may have under-dosed the animals.

One of my goats laid down a couple of days after the lamb died and has not been able to get up since. She broke her right hind leg when with her previous owner two years ago. The leg was not addressed and now is completely lame. However she has always been very mobile on 3 legs until this past Saturday when she was being knocked over flat by the other animals and didn't have the energy to even straighten herself.

Her eyelid colour is very pale. Just a shade above the whitest on the FAMACHA chart. I dewormed her again with Ivermectain 3 days ago (10 days between doses).

I have also given her a Selenium / Vit E injection as well as Vit A/D injection. Today I gave her an injection of NewCells which is sold in Canada for anemia. It has Vit B1 and B12 as well as Iron, Copper and Cobolt. She is eating the hay and feed we give her and responding well.

My biggest concern is that all three goats have very pale eyelids while the sheep have healthy pink eyelids. Are there worms that affect goats and not sheep even when they are together?

I understand treating anemia is a long process that may take many months. However any input would be most appreciated. I am taking in a much information as I can about these animals and being new to these forums Im sure I will be learning much more!

·
Super Moderator
58,832 Posts
The sheep are just handling the load better. Or you may have dosed them better with Ivomec.

What are you doing for copper for the goats? Goats have a significantly higher need for copper than sheep. Low copper may be the original reason why they aren't handling the parasite load well.

You are better off overdosing the Ivomec than underdosing.

·
Registered
30,548 Posts
With sheep, I find my hair sheep handle worm load better than the goats but all sheep, once down they are very hard to bring around, especially with Pheunomia...out of three that had ill..only one of mine survived..and Im pretty aggressive in my treatments lol...its sad...I hate loosing any... do not give them supplements with high copper in it. it can be toxic. the B's are perfect for the sheep especially 12 when anemic.
as for your goats I would give them your Iron supplement daily for a week then once a week until you see good color ..since it has the B 12 in it you are ahead of the game..B 12 helps them rebuild the red blood cells...high protien feeds for those without the runs, green leaves and alfalfa all help in that as well...
I would copper bolus the goats since they run with sheep they most likley are not getting that...Copper help goat battle worm load as well...
As for the ivomec it is dosed 1 cc per 40# sub Q...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your replies. I have used sheep drench ivermectain given orally at a rate of 0.4mg/kg.
I began treatment with NewCells (a red cell equivalent i believe).

Her eyelid colour is a very light shade of pink which is an improvement over the paper white it was a couple of days ago.

She seems more alert and her respiration has dropped significantly from the rapid breaths she had been taking.

Im concerned about the other goats now. I will be deworming them tomorrow and trying newcells on them too.

Thank you again for your replies

·
Registered
30,548 Posts
sounds like she is on the mend...any time you have goats penned together and one has worm issues...they all will have worm issues...ther are some who can be more resistant but best to have fecals done on everyone, or treat the herd ...

As a matter information...worms shed eggs in cycles..so sample one may look clean while week two can be heavy loaded...it can cause quite a bit of confusion..its a good idea to gather poop 3 days to one week apart to test..if you ever get really low number or a 0 count...and you scratch your head thinking.."Wow..they really seem wormy to me" them gather some fresh poo and test again...:D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts