The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well we got these two pygmy mixes a month or two ago, wormed(ivermectin at a 250 lb dose), but the entire first month they still looked malnourished and wormy. These goats get an hour of brush eating, hay, and a half pound of grain a day. All of my goats except the one are looking great. One doe recently just started looking great! Coat is shiny...has meat on her bones...but still has pale eyelids. The other one looks terrible, dull scraggly coat, almost no muscle anywhere, and almost white eyelids. Now, a couple weeks ago I wormed them with Ivermectin at 50lbs each, they seem to be getting color back in their eyes, but only one of them? Each goat has one really pale eye, and one that's pinker, is this normal? If their eyelids aren't good in awhile, we will look at the red cell and new wormer when we go to get more horse supplement. We can't get any fecals done since my parents refuse to pay for preventative tests...

Any advice on good wormers or anything I can do to boost her health?

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wish I could...but like I said, unless something is seriously, obviously wrong with an animal, they won't do any tests. The best thing I can do is maybe get some red cell and wormer...

·
Super Moderator
58,847 Posts
Then you are going to have to treat them with the different types of wormers to get all the different types of worms. You also really need to weigh them. If the are adults, I wouldn't be surprised if the weigh more than 50 lbs.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh no these two are tiny....like I would say they are no taller than a foot and a half tall. I would be surprised if they weighed any more than 50. Me and another(experienced) goat owner think that at least one may have had coccidia that was left untreated and stunted their growth. We also have no way to weigh them. What kind of wormers would I need to look for brand wise?

·
Super Moderator
58,847 Posts
DiMethox or Sulmet for coccidia. Valbazen or Safeguard for tapeworm/roundworm. Ivomec for the rest.

You would be surprised how heavy those little ones can be.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Would regular horse Ivermectin paste work instead of the Ivomec? If we gave them another dose a few weeks later? And if they don't have diarrhea do we need to get the DiMethox/Sulmet? We should probably pick it up anyways because we may have kids soon and need to put them on prevention...

·
Super Moderator
58,847 Posts
If you don't know what worms you have, then it is best to treat for everything. Coccidia can be present even when poop is normal. I would do the injectable for Ivomec and inject it since you don't know what worms you are dealing with.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We can't do injectable anything...none of our local farm stores carry them. It's all going to have to be oral. The goat that needs it I saw coughing today...does that give any insight on what type of worms they may be? Here's my current shopping list:

-Eprinex/Diatomaceous Earth
-Safeguard
-Red Cell
-Sulmet/Di-Methox
-Ivomec

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Valbazen is way too pricy for us to even think about right now unfortunately :( I think I can find Quest and Safeguard though...I haven't heard of Curatrem. And I do both of them? At different times or at the same time?

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How many weeks apart? I believe I wormed them with Ivermectin 1-2 weeks ago at least...I got a recommendation by a goat owner to worm several times every 2-3 weeks(depending on what wormer) to flush whatever they have out. And we are definitely going to the farm stores tomorrow to get a few things. Is there anything else I should get besides:
-Eprinex/Diatomaceous Earth
-Safeguard/Quest
-Red Cell
-Sulmet/Di-Methox

·
I'm watching you
22,267 Posts
Probios...
You can do Quest and then skip a day and do Safeguard for 3 days. I don't do Quest more often then Once a month, It stays in a horses system for 3 months, I figure it stays in a goat for a month just to be safe.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Only got Red cell and Quest Plus....was worried about over dosing so I gave 1/2 cc per goat(I estimated them each to be 50lbs), and mixed 3cc of Red cell with each dose to get it in a syringe better to properly dose and get it all done in one shot. They got all of it, they took it like champs! Will continue to supplement the red cell over a week(or until they get color back) at 3cc per goat.

Is Safeguard essential? Or can it wait? It seemed like it killed the same things as Ivermectin and Quest for a lot of money so we passed on it. Mom was already mad she had to spend more money "we didn't have" on the goats so Probios was out of the question.

·
Registered
979 Posts
If you can't do priobios or a little yogurt, try to steal a cud from one of your healthy goats to reinnoculate the rumen...but don't get bit!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts