The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel incompetent. My ND are 6 months old. I had decals done in July and they had barber pole worms. I successfully treated with quest. I just had fecals done and now they have cocci and I've started treating with vets RX. I clean their pen and pasture of berries every day. They also have access to browse and a large green pasture. Free choice hay and manna pro minerals, Purina noble goat feed 1/4 cup per day each. Clean water and food dishes. Vet says our area doesn't require copper or selenium bolse. What else can I do to help them fight the worms?

·
Super Moderator
58,832 Posts
What do you mean that you are treating with vet rx?

Coccidia is everywhere. Sounds like you are doing plenty to keep it at bay. This has been a very bad year for coccidia.

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Probably means she is treating with meds from the vet. But just out of curiousity, what is the name of the cocci med you are using?

Worming with a good wormer when they need it is the best way to keep worms at bay.

·
Registered
30,548 Posts
15 days!! Wow..Dimethox would be better at only 5 days of treatment!!
It has been a bad year for worms all together..seems you get eveyone clear of one and they are infested with another..you are doing all the right things in keeping clean stalls, dishes ect...
I would check the map for copper and selenium Def. Its better to know where you stand. Also the location you get your hay/alfalfa, if they are deficiant it will still effect your goats who eat their hay/alfalfa

·
Super Moderator
58,832 Posts
I think the vet is just making sure to get rid of it all. With it being so bad this year, I would just follow what your vet says.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Ok, I'm confused. SMZ is an antibiotic, how can it be effective at killing cocci? Is there a new SMZ that I'm not aware of?

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Well, duh! :rolleyes: My brain never put those 2 together even though I know what SMZ stands for. Major brain fart - sorry. :eek:

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,082 Posts
It's been a horrible parasite year. I've never had this much trouble staying on top of things. Don't feel incompetent. I battled more cocci cases this year than last.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm certainly not happy that you've all had health issues, however am relieved to know that even the experts have had issues this year. Thank you for your advice and feedback.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts