The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a ff myotonic goat, she just gave birth to a healthy doe. She has not had scours or acted sick in any way. That being said, in the fluid that comes out with the baby at birth it looked to be little pieces of worms, several of them. They look dead and almost look like if you cut a earth worm in little pieces but a harder texture. I wormed all goats with invermax in February. What should I worm her with and how much? Has anyone ever heard of this happening? I feed alfalfa, grain and free choice minerals. Please help

·
rdmtnfarms
760 Posts
I saw something similar to this with our doe. Little brownish flecks and pieces in the amniotic fluid. I assumed it was meconium(a bowel movement) from one of the kids because it was in only one sack.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought the same thing at first, but it didn't really look like poop to me. I have watched a few births now and this is a first. I took a picture of one when I went back out to check her. Sorry it's a little yucky, but she just had her baby.

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not sure why it is sideways, sorry about that. It is the brown thing on the left of her vulva. There were several of these, not in the sack but the fluid.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
That is strange. First thing I thought of was blood clots, but I can't figure out how they would be that shape or on the fluids. Weird....sorry I am not too helpful here. I don't think they are worms though. I wouldn't worry too much about it. One time I had a bone hard, tennis ball sized chunk of stuff come out with my horse's afterbirth. My vet was puzzled too, but the little foal grew normal and the mare went on to have normal afterbirths after that.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks I hope you guys are right and this isn't any kind of worms. Sorry I put this in the wrong spot, but at the time it felt like a real emergency.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you little bits, I guess I over reacted. At 4 am with a bunch of worm like objects I was thinking my ff and her doe are in real trouble. Thank you for a the explanation, I think you right and that makes me feel so much better.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts