The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine just got back from holidays yesterday to find one of her Pygmy does is quite ill. I went over today and she is lethargic, has scours, fluffy coat and when we went to give her some electrolytes I saw her gums were not only pale but practically white. I told her I thought her doe had worms (her other two does seem okay but to be safe we gave them some dewormer).
She gave the doe some eqvalan paste (for horses) has ivermectin and praziquantel. My question is should we dose her again tomorrow (like you do with safeguard) or should she wait the 10 days before giving her another dose? Anything else we can give her to help her fight these worms and possibly cover?

·
Registered
30,643 Posts
I would treat with Ivomec plus to cover liver fluke which can cause severe anemia as well as barpole..ivomec plus and valbazen are theonly wormers to kill liver fluke... treat 3 times 10 days apart then oce again in 30 days for a complete kill cycle...
then she needs to deal with the anemia
red cell 6 cc per 100# double first dose..dose daily for a week then once a week until color returns
Vit B 12 shots 4 cc per 100# daily
high protien foods, alfalfa and green leaves to help her rebuild her red blood cells..
keep the goat well hydrated by offering qualtiy electrolytes

·
Registered
30,643 Posts
Homemade Electrolytes

A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses( or what you have on hand or honey)
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well and drench or let them drink it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts