Worms

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Lexibot, Nov 27, 2010.

1. Lexibot

Lexibot New Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Missouri
    Been treating a goat for a while now becaus she had bottle jaw over a month ago. Her bottle hasn't returned, but her eyelids haven't changed back to pink. Today, I got to see her poop, it had worms in it...Never seen worms in her poop until just now, and I HAVE been looking, because I am used to dogs and their worms showing up in the fecal.

How come my wormer isn't working? After a month wouldn't ANY worm be gone? What kind of worm is this? I am treating with Valbazen.

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Bottle jaw is caused by barbor pole worms....

What do the worms look like...?

Valbezen... is a good one for tapes...unless under dosed ....but cannot be used on pregoo does....

3. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Hmmm...Valbazen should kill tape worms. Are you dosing at 1mL/10lbs? If the dose is not high enough it won't work like it should.

4. Lexibot

Lexibot New Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Missouri
    OKay, I am thinking it's because I am under worming her by 1 ML from what the breeder told me... BUT if you say 1ML/10lbs I'll do that.

I just wormed her on the 23rd, is it safe to make up the extra dose?

Does Valbazen kill the worm for bottle jaw? Cause it seems like it... her bottle jaw hasn't returned since I started treatment.

5. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I myself.... for my boers ....was told by my vet ...1cc per 33 lbs.... Valbezen...

As I mentioned before ...getting a fecal done ....will tell you exactly what it is....

What does the worms look like?

Wait a couple of days and give it....again at proper dosage.... then do it again 7 to 10 days later.... if you are seeing tape segments in their poo.... I would do it a 3rd time..... 7 to 10 days later....

Yes... Valbezen...kills barber pole worms....

6. Lexibot

Lexibot New Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Missouri
    Thanks, she's only 45 lbs, been treating with 2 ML. So I'll try a bigger dose.

7. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Seeings how... your goats have it real bad... and showing worms... a month after initial treatment... I'd go for a higher dosage...

Treat again...Start over....give 6 cc's..... treat again...7 to 10 days later....... do it 2 more times after that.... as you where seeing the worms.... in the poo.... so they have a heavy load....
    When you wormed a month prior ....did you give it again 7 to 10 days later? If not .... then you treated for the worms.... but not getting... the hatching eggs later at 7 to 10 days.....I think that might be what is happening now....and why you are still having issues....

Also... another thing to consider is.... that the worms.... may be getting immuned... to the wormer....and may not be working anymore.......you may have to go to another type.... I'd really recommend though.... getting a fecal done.....
    and ....are the worms ....that you see.... alive?

8. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    I've always dosed Valbazen 1mL/10lbs with no ill effects. If you've given her a 2mL dose more than once and it hasn't taken care of the problem then you'll need to give a higher dose. I know that a dose that low would not be effective in my area.